Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Removing 2 different wallpapers

2 bathrooms, don't know if they were installed at the same time or not.

Bathroom A, vinyl or vinyl-like paper that delaminates easily to expose the paper on the wall. After peeling off the outer layer by hand, by using my Wagner steamer, the remaining paper comes off relatively easily with a putty knife, leaving almost no glue residue and exposing drywall that appears to have been primed before wallpapering.

Bathroom B, appears to have a more paper-like paper, but it also delaminates almost as easily as bathroom A, exposing paper that looks the same as in bathroom A. Also, in some areas where it was not attached well the drywall appears to have been primed the same as in bathroom A. However, the steamer will not loosen this paper and the paper can't be scraped off the wall. It just scuffs and shreds but won't come off.

Any ideas here?

By the way, I'm aware of these kind of wallpaper horror stories - what I was getting at was why might 2 rooms in the same house that appear to have been prepped the same could have turned out so different. What I'm considering doing is priming the paper, then floating it all out with compound, and repriming. Or would just floating and then priming be better?

Last edited by jeffnc; 05-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You should figure out what is holding the paper and take it off. Have you tried saturating it with warm water. It may not work since you say the steamer has having zilch effect. Have you scored the paper so the moisture can get behind the surface? A quality vinyl might be keeping steam and moisture from getting behind.

You may need to find some solvent to break down whatever paste or adhesive was used.

Priming, skim coating and painting over paper should be your absolute last resort when you are certain all else has failed.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Have you scored the paper so the moisture can get behind the surface? A quality vinyl might be keeping steam and moisture from getting behind.
Wallpaper is completely delaminated (surface paper/vinyl-ish layer peeled off), and I'm steaming the paper backing left on the wall only.

Do you know any solvents to try?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

[QUOTE=jeffnc;1172149]Wallpaper is completely delaminated (surface paper/vinyl-ish layer peeled off), and I'm steaming the paper backing left on the wall only.

Do you know any solvents to try?[/QUOTE]

http://www.safeandsimple.com/

If soaking it with HOT water( and I mean soaking), does nothing to the backing( it does happen but very rarely) then you need to do as you planned. I would prime the backing with Gardz( or Cover Stain) sand, clean, skim it out, etc.

You could also use Diff and HOT water( not as good as S&S , but it will work) you really need to soak it and let it do it's thing for 15 minutes or so.

PS, use the steamer for a boat anchor
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
2 bathrooms, don't know if they were installed at the same time or not.

Bathroom A, vinyl or vinyl-like paper that delaminates easily to expose the paper on the wall. After peeling off the outer layer by hand, by using my Wagner steamer, the remaining paper comes off relatively easily with a putty knife, leaving almost no glue residue and exposing drywall that appears to have been primed before wallpapering.

Bathroom B, appears to have a more paper-like paper, but it also delaminates almost as easily as bathroom A, exposing paper that looks the same as in bathroom A. Also, in some areas where it was not attached well the drywall appears to have been primed the same as in bathroom A. However, the steamer will not loosen this paper and the paper can't be scraped off the wall. It just scuffs and shreds but won't come off.

Any ideas here?

By the way, I'm aware of these kind of wallpaper horror stories - what I was getting at was why might 2 rooms in the same house that appear to have been prepped the same could have turned out so different. What I'm considering doing is priming the paper, then floating it all out with compound, and repriming. Or would just floating and then priming be better?

Every paper acts differently at removal time. Also the "installer" might have used the wrong PASTE, to install it, you never know.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Sounds like maybe 1 was sized the other not. Are you sure it is not the paper face on the drywall that is not coming off?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Every paper acts differently at removal time. Also the "installer" might have used the wrong PASTE, to install it, you never know.
Which is why I used the word ADHESIVE knowing your reaction. I do know the difference. If nothing is working, someone got creative and did not use a paper paste. He did not melt down his horse and even use a GLUE. He/she used something evil like a vinyl adhesive that was popular for those stupid borders and in the day when there were "papers to go" places with magic ways of attaching paper on every block. Vinyl adhesives were idjut proof for those that did not understand how wallpaper was supposed to work. Molly and Priscilla could have a couple glasses of Pinot Grigio, slather the stuff on and never have to worry about terms like booking the paper and all that.

As we know, only a jackhammer or sledge hammer and chisel will get that horrid stuff off!

I still have nightmares thinking about trying to remove it and images of stupid border cherubs, angels and apples are etched in my head.

If saturating the paper just does not work, even with a solvent, this may be one instance where the terrible practice of skim coating and priming and painting wallpaper may be the best option.

Last edited by user1007; 05-04-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #8

[QUOTE=chrisn;1172180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
PS, use the steamer for a boat anchor
It worked great for the first one. Maybe you're saying hot water from a sponge would have worked just as well....
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Sounds like maybe 1 was sized the other not. Are you sure it is not the paper face on the drywall that is not coming off?
Yes, the drywall is primed white in both cases. The wallpaper paper backing is a beige/yellowish color. The drywall paper of course is gray (which is visible around the perimeter where the primer roller didn't reach), and I'm not getting down to the white primer in any case.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

[QUOTE=jeffnc;1172234]
Quote:

It worked great for the first one. Maybe you're saying hot water from a sponge would have worked just as well....
I have found nothing works better than an adjustable garden tank sprayer and working in small sections with a thin, wide, flexible drywall blade. I have often had to get 100 years of layered paper off. I would have worried what a steamer would do to ancient plaster as I got closer. I didn't bother practicing cuss words because sometimes I just knew it was going to take days, and not hours.

As Chris suggests, if a reasonable paper paste was used, with PATIENCE I have been able to get most everything off through the years. Only when I have encountered some sort of adhesive, and not a paste, has it become problematical. I have had to cut the top edge of drywall and replace it where some of those drop dead hideous wallpaper borders were attached.

Removing paper should be easy if it was put on correctly. But if you find lots of rooms done in the wallpapers to go era of the 70s. Say a prayer. People clueless as to what they were doing, or buying in terms of materials, went a little crazy. And when things went wrong, the Martha Stewart's of the time just suggested to grab a bottle of Elmer's and re-attach where any paste was failing. If Elmer's worked on a failing seam? Why not use it where large sections of paper were not sticking?

Last edited by user1007; 05-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Wow- you guys use big words! Not fancy words, just big ones.
Impressive!

BTW, remember the plastic trick I've described about a hunnerd times? Better and safer than the steamer- lets the water do the work.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 05-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Wow- you guys use big words! Not fancy words, just big ones.
Impressive!

BTW, remember the plastic trick I've described about a hunnerd times? Better and safer than the steamer- lets the water do the work.
Proof again size does matter! Bubba Chris is sensitive to talk of paste, glue and adhesives, and using the terms too freely in discussions of wallpaper removal or installation.

He probably does not like, as applied to wallpaper, the Elmer's mantra: "glue it with Elmer's and glue it for good" but we have both seen too much of the stuff used to fix bad wallpaper installation. The stuff ain't not paste.

I've never understood steamers. They seem like one of those inventions that had no real market value. First, since the things were invented they were dangerous. They got too hot and water and electricity did not mix well in the early models. I guess Wagner makes a plastic toy thing these days that costs $50ish? A person could buy a couple of garden sprayers for that and not risk blistering burns. Becoming the ground and turned into a crispy critter if the electric on the plastic things failed does not appeal to me. What could possibly go wrong with a $50 plastic steaming tool though.

And BJ I liked your plastic idea but have had no need to try it.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

[QUOTE=jeffnc;1172234]
Quote:

A sponge is not going to do it, as sd said a garden sprayer is needed, and lots of hot water, lots, and lots, it needs to be running off the wall.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

..unless you hold in in with plastic... really - try it. Once the paper is saturated, cap it with plastic and let the water work. Otherwise you need to keep rewetting because of evaporation.
Once you try it you will understand.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #15

A little fabric softner will it from evaporating so quick and seems to help it saturate better.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote