Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Share |

To remove wallpaper or just re-drywall

I'm going to be redoing a small bathroom in the house. It's currently wallpapered. Would it be better just to trip the drywall down in such a small space instead of either removing the wallpaper or prepping it to paint over?

interplexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Drywall is tougher in smaller areas. More cutting and taping/mudding. It will probably be easier to strip the wallpaper. You can always just strip a small area and see how it goes.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Strip the paper, do NOT ever paint over it. If you need stripping instructions, start here or ask.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Strip the paper, do NOT ever paint over it. If you need stripping instructions, start here or ask.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

Stripping it off will be either easy or painful depending on who hung the paper and with what. If a pro did it? The walls were primed and sized. You will have no major trouble getting it off.

Buy a paper scoring tool at the paint store. Spend millions on commercial paper removal products or mix fabric softener and warm water. Do not saturate so you hurt the wall, but soak the paper and then strip it off with a nice thin drywall knife. If it is modern wallpaper, and you give the mixture time to saturate, it should fall off in giant sheets.

I work on antique houses and often encounter layers of paper. I have never found a better way yet then steaming through the layers and patiently getting the paper held in place with MY Friend Flicka glue remains in place.

I do enough of this that I own a nice wallpaper steamer but you can rent one for chimp change I should think. Hate to hear myself saying this but the box stores sell a Wagner toy for like $49. It might work for one bathroom? A day rental of a real steamer would cost less than that I hope.

Even trailer trash people and Al Bundy shoe saleman types know better than to paint over wallpaper by the way

Last edited by user1007; 01-02-2010 at 02:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #5

Had to remove a LOT of wallpaper recently during a major remodel. While it was a lot of work to remove it would have been more work and money to redo the drywall. And do not just paint over it...

Rented a steamer and scoring tool from HD for over the weekend - worked pretty well.

I hate wallpaper...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I hate wallpaper...
Come on now. I moan and scream taking historic wallpaper off in multiple layers but buy it for clients all the time in restoration projects. It fits in the situations it belongs.

Paper hangers are a dying breed though. I guess I do remember the basics but most of the the box store crap is but Christmas gift wrap turned into Laura Ashley patterns? I order real stuff for clients.

I summon up this horrible woman, who hangs paper for a living and can spot angles in a room and make the patterns work in the oldest of houses. She comes with her own plumb bob, makes horrible pencil marks on the primed walls I just offered her, but does have a way of seeing things and making adjustments around 360 degrees I cannot. She loves being stuck to horse glue or whatever pros use these days.

Hang it All Anyhow is her company name. Or it is something like that!

Last edited by user1007; 01-03-2010 at 05:53 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Laura Ashley has lovely papers but they suck to hang, DYI's should NEVER attempt to hang this paper. Horse glue has not been around for 50 years or so.Paste or adhesive, never glue.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #8

I recently had t remove a border in a bedroom. Granted it was 1 layer but i was able to remove the decorative exterior of the border which left only the glue portion of the paper. I then mixed 2 parts fabric softener and warm water in a spray bottle sprayed the glue with this pretty heavily, let set a hour and the glue portion of the paper stripped of with ease.
ilta1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
VP Queen

Have you thought about doing a Venetian Plaster in the bath instead of drywall and painting?
Plaster Ayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Sprayboy-services.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaster Ayn View Post
Have you thought about doing a Venetian Plaster in the bath instead of drywall and painting?
I have. Please tell me more.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
VP Queen

What troweling experience do you have? In specific have you ever troweled on either interior or exterior plaster (pool, exterior stucco inc)?
Plaster Ayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #12

We just bought a 4000 sq ft house that was built in the 60's and was covered in the old heavy paper. Luckily the paper was so old it just pulled right off without the need of any removers, but left a nasty residue adhesive behind. This was a major PITA to remove, but we found vinegar diluted with water worked better than any "wallpaper remover" found at the big box store. But it would have been much more expensive and much more work to rip the walls down and re-drywall.
jkuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Sprayboy-services.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaster Ayn View Post
What troweling experience do you have? In specific have you ever troweled on either interior or exterior plaster (pool, exterior stucco inc)?

No, trowelling experience with cement only. I have done a lot of body work with Bondo.

Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, drywall, paint, renovations, wallpaper