Refinishing Front Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing Front Door

I need to refinish my wooden front door and have some questions before I start. The stain on the door is faded and blotchy from water and wear, but other than that, it's in good condition.

I have a liquid deglosser from another project when I refinished my kitchen cabinets and want to know if I should use it on the door before I apply the new stain. If not, what product is recommended to prep the door before I restain it. Also, after I stain it, what kind of sealer should I use? One last piece of info, the door faces north and I live in southern California.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by chuck2112; 10-17-2013 at 11:03 AM.
chuck2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Refinishing Front Door

What I did with our front door, was sand it down, then use Marine grade stain, sanded the first coat with fine grade sand paper, wipe down, then apply a second coat. After it was dry, then I applied Marine grade Poly over it.

Since we have tinted film on the Storm door, you cannot really see the door, but the stain & poly held up real well to the heat, from the direct sunlight in the Morning from the East, before we applied the tint on the storm.

I used a Cherry tinted stain, because I wanted a dark red type tint. It came out real good. To apply it, I just used a 2" foam brush on the door, then after done redid the glass panes that were in it, since the glazing was all dried out.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
chuck2112 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 678

Refinishing Front Door

You can not stain over a sealer.
It all needs to be sanded off.
Using a sealer like Bristol finish will give you far more years of trouble free use.
It has far more UV protection then and box store stuff.
Biggest mistake DIY's make is not apply enough coats of sealer, the more coats the longer the protection.
With Bristol it's possible to get up to three coats on in a day.
http://bristolfinish.com/
chuck2112 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Refinishing Front Door

The solution is simple albeit not what you may want to hear or do. If the finish is turning white, then the finish is no longer effective for protection. Now for the bad news, when I do a door I strip the old finish completely off, sand the surface, then stain it, then begin my clear coats.

I know Joe is high on Bristol finish (just a pun), and after all my years of using oil base it was difficult for me to even try acrylic products. I will never regret that move. The acrylic varnishes in my opinion out last oil base products by two to one. Again I need to say I’m not familiar with Bristol products.

I’ve seen and heard of people who apply three coats in a day. That’s nothing to brag about, it’s foolish. Allowing each coat a day’s drying time gives the next succeeding coat the opportunity to increase the mils for a thicker protective coating. Applying three coats in one day doesn’t increase the mils as much as the 24 hr dry time method only because each coat incorporates with the previous coat.

If for any reason you’re hesitant about oil base varnishes, you might want to look into General Finishes www.generalfinishes.com or ZAR products or Varathane. They all offer an exterior acrylic varnish. If I could show you the difference between the two products, you would not hesitate to use the acrylic coatings.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
chuck2112 (10-17-2013)