Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

redoing porch steps

I have painted my steps and the paint is peeling. i am stripping them and sanding but all of the paint is not coming off. can I put a solid stain or do i have to use paint again?

daknoblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

redoing porch steps

Remove peeling paint( one way or the other) sand smooth, clean,PRIME, paint.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

redoing porch steps

I actually would clean and get rid of peeling paint as suggested but then use a quality paint store porch and floor/patio paint--oil based with urethane reinforcement or water-based with epoxy reinforcement--- like that from Benjamin Moore. No primer is used under such paints.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

redoing porch steps

I have been having problems with no-prime paint..
Pittsburgh deck stains
puttster
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

redoing porch steps

You are having trouble with stain or floor, porch and patio paint. Two different animals.

OP. What material are you painting by the way. Wood or concrete.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #6

redoing porch steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You are having trouble with stain or floor, porch and patio paint. Two different animals.

OP. What material are you painting by the way. Wood or concrete.
You are right, the PPG product is a stain. Weird how it peels like paint. I guess since it is a stain I can't just re-stain like I could re-paint.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

redoing porch steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
You are right, the PPG product is a stain. Weird how it peels like paint. I guess since it is a stain I can't just re-stain like I could re-paint.
Actually the process is more or less the same. Remove any loose and flaking pigment. Clean thoroughly. Condition appropriately. Then apply a couple coats of finish. With stain or porch, floor and patio paint you usually do not use a primer. The more pigment in the stain (e.g. solid stain) the more likely the surface is to flake over time.

I am not a big fan of using solid color stains on decks or even porch and patio paint on concrete that receives a lot of direct UV exposure. I would not use paint of any kind on a deck---only a t&g porch outside. With either, you have to plan on regular maintenance. You will still need to re-stain periodically but semi-transparent stains are, IMO, a better choice for exposed horizontal wood surfaces. And concrete stains can be quite beautiful if handled with some creativity. They are drop dead gorgeous if polished after staining.

All that said, in restoring antique homes the covered porches and verandas were historically painted and I repainted them without worrying too much. Quality paint store, not box store, porch, floor and patio paints have either urethane (in oil based products) or epoxy (in water based products or even a silicone/epoxy) to reinforce the film surface. The reinforcement is not unlike clear coats applied to interior wood floors. Solid stains do not.

Last edited by user1007; 05-31-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

redoing porch steps

Whatever you do, follow the printed instructions on the label. You may need to etch the concrete after it is stripped, if you have slick, polished concrete. Look for a concrete etching solution at your paint dealer.

Most porch & Patio paints will instruct you to thin the first coat for better penetration and use two coats, unthinned, over that. Unless specifically made for the purpose, primers are not made to withstand foot traffic.

And with all this being said, remember: Don't let your expectations exceeeed the performance ability of the coating. A horizontal application will fail quicker than a vertical one.

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-31-2012)