Red / Blue Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Red / Blue paint

Hi - I'm getting ready to paint my son's bedroom in the Montreal Canadiens official colours (I know, I know... hehe). I'm wondering what kind of primer I should use before applying the red / blue paint to avoid applying multiple coats.

I've read to use a grey primer and others have suggested a darker primer.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement

raleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Red / Blue paint

First of all, why prime if the wall is already painted?
Second: If you want a gray primer, Zinsser 1-2-3 makes a deep base that can be tinted sufficiently dark.
Third: A white undercoat will give you cleaner, crisper reds and blues.
Finally, some companies make their accent system with colored bases. These have better hiding power and an overall better performance. It would be worth looking around for these.
Good luck with your project.

Advertisement

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-29-2012), mustangmike3789 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Red / Blue paint

Bonjour. Comment ca va? Je mapelle Janette. Y'habite au Ontario. I was born in Pierre Fonds..... VIVE LA CANADIENS...

Je ne comprend pa primer/paint, mais la rouge est difficile a cacher. Gris oui

Thats the extent of my Francais

Merci
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Red / Blue paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
First of all, why prime if the wall is already painted?
Second: If you want a gray primer, Zinsser 1-2-3 makes a deep base that can be tinted sufficiently dark.
Third: A white undercoat will give you cleaner, crisper reds and blues.
Finally, some companies make their accent system with colored bases. These have better hiding power and an overall better performance. It would be worth looking around for these.
Good luck with your project.
I always tinted primer to 40 percent or so of the chosen finish color for deep tones like this. Gray would work but white will bring the depth of the chosen hues out best in this instance.

You are tempting fate in trying to get all covered in one coat. Please get used to the idea of two coats. And if you go with two dark colors, plan on primer and two coats when you grow tired of the color scheme and want to change it back to something else.

You definitely need the correct tint base. And, basic primary colors like this may be available in a factory pre-mix that does not need to be tinted. The pigments will be more uniformly blended in a factory mix. Ask your real paint, not box store, if such is available. If you tint, make sure you get enough paint and mix the gallons together before you start or you may see color variations once on the wall.

Just a thought for consideration? Painting the whole room with that much solid color could end up more than you imagine. Among other things, you will lose a lot of light that will get absorbed into those dark colors. Have you thought about some colorful electrostatic decals instead? Non-adhesive, you stick them up and peel them off when the Canadiens blow the season? I imagine the team licenses images but you can, in theory, print out anything you want. Sign shops sell the film by the width of the roll and the linear inches or feet you use off of it. These are images from the Fathead graphics website. They also had just the logo and other players. These two were $99 but check for online coupons.

I live in CUBS country (a mile or so from Wrigley Field) and am a die hard but realistic fan. I am proud to say they are tied for first right now and wish I had decals all over my walls. I would want them down when they live up to their name though: Completely Useless By September.

Last edited by user1007; 03-28-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added Photos of Wall Graphics
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Red / Blue paint

Thanks for the tips.

I always go 2 coats for interior painting, but from what I have been reading; red paint is very difficult to cover and am reading that it might take 3,4,5, etc. coats to cover properly. The only reason I'm considering a primer is for the red to get a good base that can take on the red paint better (for coverage purposes).

I thought about Decals, but the project I have in mind is too nice to pass on:

http://fans.canadiens.nhl.com/commun...ns-dream-room/

I'll compliment the room with some decals as well.
raleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 512

Red / Blue paint

when buying the paint the computer at the store will tell you the recommended tinted primer for the colour of paint you are buying and they'll tint the primer to the correct darkness.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Red / Blue paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
when buying the paint the computer at the store will tell you the recommended tinted primer for the colour of paint you are buying and they'll tint the primer to the correct darkness.
i have nothing against box store paint , but this is one time i would go to a real paint store , i can speak for sherwin williams as i use it every day.they can tell you what primer you need .for reds a charcoal gray primer is recommended .but not all the time, some times depending on the red just 2 coats done . its best when going to s/w to talk to the manager about your questions;

Last edited by ltd; 03-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Red / Blue paint

Go to Ben Moore, as their deep base colors are superior as to coverage. Red should cover in two coats, with no deep base primer. You might need three. The problem is not what primer to use, but the finish. I've applied deep base reds, even a deep burgundy/wine, over a gray primer and still had to do four coats. If you have a Ben Moore locally, they're your only choice. SW might be competitive, but BM has advanced color technology. Also, as MrPaint pointed out, you'll get crisper/brighter colors with a white base. Even after two or three coats of red/blue, the gray primer will still be influencing the color and will muddy it a bit.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

Red / Blue paint

we dont have a SW here so i get dulux paint and they can tell me what primer to use and not from a box store. i really like dulux

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote