Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Recycled Paint Success

I've been doing some work in the basement of my office building. Found the water leak, tore out the moldy old, drywalled & mudded, etc.

Then it was on to paint. I primed & painted over the flat black ceiling paint (no idea why anybody would ever do that), and moved on to the walls.

Since I'm cheap, and since the color & sheen didn't really matter, I decided to head down to a local "paint recycle store." It's a city-wide place where people can drop off their leftover paint, and anybody can go pick up (for free) whatever paint they want.

First time I've ever been there. I picked up 7 part-gallons of paint I thought I could mix up to get kind of a light blue-gray look. Obviously, I selected all interior paint. Various sheens, though no flat. Combined and mixed them in a 5 gallon bucket and gave it a whirl.

Below is the "almost finished" result (the light circles are dust on the camera lens, not something with the paint). I'm pretty happy with it. The paint rolled on nicely, and covered very well. The sheen ended up being in the eggshell/satin realm. I needed about 4 gallons, so I figure I saved about $100 - maybe a little more. Plus, it's kind of nice to be at least a little "green."

I'll be doing this again, for applications where I have some flexibility with color and sheen. If you have such a facility nearby, I'd suggest you give it a go. You might like it.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,146

Recycled Paint Success

Looks great Dr. Hicks! I mix a lot of leftover paint into a fiver about 2 or 3 times a year.......I try to keep the sheens all the same and the colors pretty close........usually end up with a taupe color. I use my "mixed up" paint on various apartment jobs or old sheds/buildings where no one cares about the color. It usually works out pretty good........customer saves on buying a bunch of paint that's for certain.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Recycled Paint Success

I leave all my left over paint with the customer
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,146

Recycled Paint Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I leave all my left over paint with the customer
Chris, I usually do that also......BUT, sometimes the customer doesn't want a gallon can with a quart of paint in it taking up space in the garage or basement. Also, some of my jobs are apartment repaints, etc. and the slum, er, landlord doesn't expect me to leave any leftover paint. Adds up to 15 or 20 half empty cans per year.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Recycled Paint Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Chris, I usually do that also......BUT, sometimes the customer doesn't want a gallon can with a quart of paint in it taking up space in the garage or basement. Also, some of my jobs are apartment repaints, etc. and the slum, er, landlord doesn't expect me to leave any leftover paint. Adds up to 15 or 20 half empty cans per year.
I get it. I used to do the same.When my garage got to cluttered,I would throw all the gals into a 5 and take it to habitat for humanity
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,284

Recycled Paint Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I get it. I used to do the same.When my garage got to cluttered,I would throw all the gals into a 5 and take it to habitat for humanity
Thanks good idea. I have just been throwing mine out now I can do something useful with it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Recycled Paint Success

You come up with some odd colors but they don't care.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Recycled Paint Success

I usually paint my tool stands and things like that with the leftover stuff. I have been doing some exterior repair work lately and have been working out of 15 year old can of BM MorGlo. When I pulled it off the shelf I doubted it would be any good but I added a little Floetrol and mixed the dickens out of it and it's been fine.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote