Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #1

Share |

Recommended external primer

Hello everyone,

I recently had all my external window frames replaced. We used a pressure treated sill. It's bare wood right now. I know p/t will stand up to a bit of weather but I'd like to prime them for extra protection. So I'm looking for a primer recommendation based on the following criteria.

Cold weather applied. I live in NJ
Seals and protects from external environment.
Can accept both latex or oil based paint. We are going to paint the house I the summer but I'm not sure if we are going to use latex or oil based on the new frames. So I need the flexibility.

Thanks!
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Not a great plan to have used pressure treated wood for a sill for several reasons.
One when you first buy it it's still wet, in your area it's going to take a long time to even dry out before you can do anything. Try and seal it before it's dry and you will be sealing in the moisture which will cause it to mold up and push the sealer off as the moisture trys to come out.

A 3' piece will shrink up at least an 1/8" so any caulking you try to use is going to crack.

Pressure treated wood does not like to hold paint. What I've been using is Cabot soild colored siding and fence stain. It will look like paint when done but seems to hold up much better.
Also any fastners used needed to be ACQ approved if not there just going to rust off. The new pressure treated wood is treated with Copper which reacts with zinc or steel.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Hey Joe,

So what should have been used? Sill is 2 inches thick. I've used behr exterior latex on sills around my house before and it's held up great for years already it's just not for cold weather. Wondering if I should try kilz exterior latex. Latex is supposed to stay breathable. Maybe that would help with the dry out.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

And are all your other sills pressure treated?
When I get stuck having to work on those old sills I do one of two things.
Custom make one out of Fur I can buy at my local saw mill that has not been dressed.
If the sill is not rotted I cover it and any wood trim with PVC coil stock so there's never any need to paint it agin forever.
I've never seen primer or paint hold up on pressure treated.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Another Jerseyian, though I'm assuming your on the opposite end of the state. Joe made some good points about structural issues, but I don't share all his points on the paint side. Pressure treated creates a lot of questions, from how it holds paint to how long it takes to dry before painting, and there are a lot of varying viewpoints on all. What you have is what you have, so we must deal with it. I've never seen a real problem with pressure treated holding paint, it's wood. And you can't be sure how long it's been since your wood has been treated, so it may be "dry" enough to paint right now. If it's copper infused, latex primer is not your best bet. I would suggest a longer oil primer like Cabot's Problem Solver Primer or BM Alkyd Penetrating Oil Primer. However, both require 24 hours of temps above 45-50 degrees. It's pressure treated, so it's not going to rot by spring. But, if you get a few nice days, you might want to prime it and get it caulked. The open gaps more than the wood itself, is what concerns me, and you can't caulk bare wood. It's only a sill. If it's a bit too green to paint, it will blister enough to gas off, and you can just prepare and repaint it. Done. I don't like the idea of moisture entering through the joints in the sill, so having to repair some blisters and repaint is, in my mind, a fair trade off. Just be sure to give it a good sanding with 80 grit sandpaper and dust it off well prior to priming. Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #6

Mr. Clown-Free makes good points. Wait until warmer weather to apply your finish. A good oil priming and caulking will suffice for now. Here is some info on one of our technical bulletins concerning this:

Before applying any finish to pressure-treated lumber, whether it is old or new, it is important to remember to always wear a respirator and eye protection when cutting, shaping or sanding. If you bought the wood at a lumber yard they provided you with a material safety data sheet (MSDS). Observe all precautions.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Thx for the reply's and info. I will probably wait until the spring to paint em. Maybe i'll just get em wrapped in aluminum. thx!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Few more things. Apparently what I'm told is that premium predryed p/t was used. Don't know if that impacts anything and also, I'm in bergen county. Any chance you know of a good company that can spray elastomerics on stucco? Need to get my whole house painted now that my leaky window frames were fixed. Thx!

Tags
painter, painters