Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Recommendations for painting T-111

By barn has T-111 siding, some of which I recently replaced. Of course, the new stuff need to be painted, and I am going to change the color from fugly dark brown to proper barn red with white trim. So....

the guy at SW recommended using solid color stain. He said that I would not need to prime (except over the old paint) and that it was the way to go for T-111. However, I have had mixed experiences with solid color stain on other applications.

Any input/suggestions/experience would be welcome.

Also, some before and after pictures..

This is what the barn looked like when we bought the house. The next picture is where things currently stand
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for painting T-111-img_0712.jpg  
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
General Contractor

Not a fan of solid body stains for something like this.

T1-11 is a plywood product. I'd much prefer to use a good quality primer paying a little extra attention to filling the grooves nice and solid, then a quality paint over the top. If you look sideways into the grooves you'll see some voids in the plies, that's what I'm after getting good and sealed to keep water from getting in there.

Not sure how you are going to paint....brush/roll or spray but......What I do is spray and back roll with a heavy nap roller, actually spraying the majority of the material into the grooves themselves and then the roller helps distribute the paint across the face of the siding while making it easier to fill the groove solid, not having to push so hard with the roller. Basically, spraying just as a means of speeding the process up rather than dipping the roller constantly.
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

x2 spray the grooves and back roll.. i wouldnt use a stain either.. esp going red... prime with a nice gray and 2 coats of red.. that barn will look awesome and should last at least 5 -7 years before a wash and maintenance coat.
jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

looks like the siding is below grade? wont matter what you do if that's the case
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

I would use a solid stain on it. Sherwin Williams Woodscapes solid stain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will skip the stain.

As for the area that looks like it is below grade...that is actually a pile of dirt and rubble right in front (but about three feet away) which I need to get rid of.

Last edited by 1910NE; 06-10-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #7

post pics!!
jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

I don't do much exterior- but from the pro forum I hear lots of guys like to prime T-111 with XIM's Peel Bond. It is clear and thick and bonds well, makes a great barrier to moisture and surface for painting.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #9

Wow, not much love for a solid color stain! I think the stain will last much longer on the T-111 than paint. I've done it both ways and like the stain better. Especially in Maine where the weather is a bear, I would like the stain for its' longer durability.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadoo7 View Post
x2 spray the grooves and back roll.. i wouldnt use a stain either.. esp going red... prime with a nice gray and 2 coats of red.. that barn will look awesome and should last at least 5 -7 years before a wash and maintenance coat.
What's the thinking behind the gray primer? Just easier to cover than white? I typically get my primer tinted the same shade as my finish coat.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Quality solid stain will last just as long as any quality paint, but the stain won't peel down the road like paint will. We have done a few red and white barns using solid stain with success.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
General Contractor

I have to admit that I haven't tried the Sherwin Williams Woodscape product. Just maybe it's that much better than any solid body stains I have used......
However to say that paint WILL peel......

Ah well, whatever product you decide to go with....pay extra attention to the grooves.
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #13

And the bottom ends of the panels, as mentioned you should be 8" to grade. I hope you used metal flashing under the tar paper between sheets (horizontally) and over the garage door..........

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
And the bottom ends of the panels, as mentioned you should be 8" to grade. I hope you used metal flashing under the tar paper between sheets (horizontally) and over the garage door..........

Gary
Metal flashing is in place where necessary. Also, as mentioned already, The bottom ends of the panels are properly above grade. In fact, that is one of the deficiencies that I am having to correct as I work on the barn. In many places around the perimeter, the ground has been allowed to creep up to the siding (image below is one of the least worrisome examples.) This issue has an additional complication in that the area is completely flat, except for the gradual grade UP TO the siding around the barn. Probably going to have to ditch around the perimeter to create drainage and proper grade. I have already replaced most of the sill on the front of the building with PT (original was not), and have plenty more to do along the other walls as well. In several places, I am going to end up replacing studs, or at least sistering in at the base as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for painting T-111-img_0682.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #15

Yes, that's what I was saying, the wood panels wick water up from the concrete slab touching wet ground under it. Not just splash water......

Thanks for the picture. The side wall drains water to the slab where the siding sucks it up to mold and rot... Add some "L" flashing under/behind the new siding to direct it over the slab edge, not onto.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote