Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Recommendation for Great Lakes regional paint mfg

Greetings all

I am seeking recommendations for quality exterior paint. Who makes quality exterior paint in the Great Lakes region? I am in metro Detroit. Mostly brush applied

I know that pros tend to dislike Behr. I am a small time landlord and I have been using Behr for a decade or so, but with the recent change in Behr tints, my custom color codes are invalid and color samples will need to be scanned. I figured this would be as good a time as any to try something else.

aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Not a fan of Behr, but, if it works for you by all means keep using what works! Personally and professionally I much prefer Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint. To me it's like a Chevy truck, nothing fancy but gets the job done and doesn't cost a fortune. I have also had decent luck with Valspar paint from Lowe's. It's certainly not the best but is decent enough to get you by on a tight budget.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I did not do a lot of exterior work but stuck with the major brands. I don't like much that paint departments in box stores sell and I personally do not shop in them. With all factored in including their total lack of support to communities in which they operate, they have not earned my business.

Benjamin Moore was my fave paint but Sherwin Williams or MAB were used almost as often if clients had a preference. Pittsburgh paint store paint was alright. The Pittsburgh product Menard's sells is terrible and even worse than Behr. Valspar gets mixed reviews on this site as does Glidden. But I worry Glidden has the same thing going on as Pittsburgh. Glidden has a pro store and presence here that seems to do a robust business. The packaging and products are different than the box store stuff.

As many of us will repeat over and over, buy the best and highest acrylic finish you can (for colorfastness) afford. But remember 95 percent of a nice paint job is prep. Having put all the time in, saving $5/gallon on inferior paint makes no sense. Don't forget the primer if you need one.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

In direct answer to your question, I did a Google search and a very positive piece on O'Leary paints out of Lansing showed up. Sames the took on all comers in some exterior paint contest and won the top three spots---gold, silver and bronze---from the Coating Research Group which has a lot more credibility with me than Consumer Reports! Family owned. Largest paint manufacturer in Michigan. The kind of company that deserves a shot? I need to paint my interior and am impressed enough I may give them a shot. I see they carry Benjamin Moore Aura so I am curious what that connection is.

http://www.greeningofthegreatlakes.c...=288&cat_id=38

http://www.olearypaint.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9pk083vWlc

If you give them a try, let me know how it works out?

Ric? You there? Comments on O'Leary oh wise one and champion of regional manufacturers?

Last edited by user1007; 09-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote