DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Recommend Sherwin Williams paint type to me

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  houseinthewoods 
#1 ·
What the sellers did to the stairs and trims round the house

This is the look am shooting for to replace the staircase

So am looking for white and the espresso paints to make the stairs look like the 2nd pic. Suggestions please

I am going for sherwin williams duration because of the no voc and no smell, and I have coupons

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a painter, but your second picture looks like painted white spindles with stained hardwood treads and hand rails.

The white parts are easy. I use SW ProClassic oil-based semigloss in Extra White. Goes on like silk and evens out to be very smooth. It's a pain to clean up, because you have to use mineral spirits.

No solid paint is going to make the brown parts look anything like stained wood. I'm sure there is hardwood under the gray paint, but you'd have to disassemble the staircase to strip and refinish it.

Come to think of it, it might be easier to replace the treads and railing. Those carpet installers probably drove a thousand staples into the treads. It would be very difficult to refinish them. :(

I do love the Duration paint, but I'm not sure it's the proper paint to put on woodwork. Talk to your SW dealer. They always help me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.