Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
hmu

Share |

Recomendations for a Sprayer

Sorry to keep posting topics but I couldn't figure a way to change the title of my other one.

Anyway I've decided to buy a sprayer to paint the house and shed and outbuilding......Then I plan on probably selling it.....So I would like some advice. Airless or Air? Should I buy new big box store sprayer? A used one of better quality? I dont really want to spend more than about 400 500 max so not sure I could get a high quality new one or if it worth it for my needs. Thanks

hmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Airless only for bigger jobs.
I have a Graco XR 7 that's worked fo me for years. You can spray using 5 gal. buckets and it will spray almost any fluid.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

For your needs an airless sprayer that will spray at least.25gpm and has 3000psi would be sufficient. You will also want to be sure that the gun will accept at least a .015 tip for the maximum tip size, but one that goes up to .17 tip would be better, for your use you wouldn't need a larger tip than .017. Off course you can by bigger, but a small sprayer in that range is a good starting point for occasional use and within your budget. A piston pump sprayer will be better than a diaphragm pump and it sprays on the up and down stroke. The sprayers sold in box stores, even though they are brand name don't have as quality parts as ones sold else wear, such as SW.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 02-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

If you really plan on buying one and start painting as soon as you buy it then do not try and save money and buy a used one. One hose is about $75.00 a nozzle $15.00, rebuild kit for the pump $50.00. If it was not cleaned properly the last time it was used the cost can add up real quick.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
hmu (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Make sure your Homeowner's policy covers overspray onto the neighbors' car, house, dog, wife, kids, plants, etc.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
hmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
For your needs an airless sprayer that will spray at least.25gpm and has 3000psi would be sufficient. You will also want to be sure that the gun will accept at least a .015 tip for the maximum tip size, but one that goes up to .17 tip would be better, for your use you wouldn't need a larger tip than .017. Off course you can by bigger, but a small sprayer in that range is a good starting point for occasional use and within your budget. A piston pump sprayer will be better than a diaphragm pump and it sprays on the up and down stroke. The sprayers sold in box stores, even though they are brand name don't have as quality parts as ones sold else wear, such as SW.
SO a paint store is the place to go then? Or a better tool store like a northern tool etc??

Any chance a place like SW would give a discount if purchasing a sprayer and all paint from them? Or is that still a small purchase for them?

Any brand rec?

Thanks. You all are very helpful

Last edited by hmu; 02-05-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
hmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Make sure your Homeowner's policy covers overspray onto the neighbors' car, house, dog, wife, kids, plants, etc.
Unless they overspray about 1200 ft I think Ill be ok
The Following User Says Thank You to hmu For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmu View Post
Sorry to keep posting topics but I couldn't figure a way to change the title of my other one.

Anyway I've decided to buy a sprayer to paint the house and shed and outbuilding......Then I plan on probably selling it.....So I would like some advice. Airless or Air? Should I buy new big box store sprayer? A used one of better quality? I dont really want to spend more than about 400 500 max so not sure I could get a high quality new one or if it worth it for my needs. Thanks
Hi - sounds like a job for an airless. Housepainting guy gave you a pretty good set of specs to look for. Look for Graco, Titan or SprayTech(Wagner), they all have pretty good units. Avoid the lower end Wagners though. The Wagner Paint Crew, as seen in WalMart, is just an exercise in frustration. I'd also avoid used as sold by an individual. Cleaning is so critical on these things buying used is just buying trouble. I said cleaning is critical, not difficult, but it does need to be thorough.
I'd recommend checking out the reconditioned market. You can get one meeting your requirements for around $200 here:
http://www.gleempaint.com/airspray.html

I've bought a couple of sprayers from these guys, a Spraytech 1420 and a Wagner Power Paint Pluis Max, and got good service and product a really decent price. I wouldn't count on reselling the thing though, at least not for a lot. There are a lot of guys like me that don't trust used paint equipment.
Good Luck

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #9

Hmu, if you just plan on a "one-time spray job" why not rent a unit? If you prep & mask well beforehand, you may only have to rent one for a day or two depending on the size of the job and your skill with the sprayer. Then, if you DO have any problems, you can contact the rental/paint store for advice, service, trouble-shooting, etc.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
hmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Hmu, if you just plan on a "one-time spray job" why not rent a unit? If you prep & mask well beforehand, you may only have to rent one for a day or two depending on the size of the job and your skill with the sprayer. Then, if you DO have any problems, you can contact the rental/paint store for advice, service, trouble-shooting, etc.
Thought about it but I have an 1100 sq ft house one side with 6 ft of basement exposure. Plus a shed (different color) and part of an outbuilding. I figure 24 hours between coats and some needs priming first so even if I can paint everything the same day thats 3 days. 70 a day is 210 280 if one more.....But maybe if its really that hard to sell them?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Gleem is a good place to buy online- and good to compare/shop at