Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Share |

recaulking: cleaning out old caulk questions

Hey there folks,

I'm going to be recaulking around windows/doors before the rains come and I had some questions. I know to clean out old caulk prior to applying new caulk but had some specific situations I'd love to get some advise on. Most of my recaulking work will be joints between wood trim boards around doors/windows and stucco. I'm planning on using polyurethane caulk to reseal. I'm not planning on repainting the entire house at this time.

1 - Widespread caulk: Many of the joints were caulked and smoothed so that the caulk covered the seam, but also covered the 3/4" edge of the trim board and 1/2" - 3/4" up the stucco. Then everything was painted with elastomeric paint. in many places the caulk has cracked along the seam and is still stuck to the stucco and trim board. Should I try to get rid of all of this caulk, or is there a way I can just dig out the seam and still have a good bond?

2 - Hairline crack: On one joint (between wooden window trim and stucco siding) the current caulk looks to be in good shape except a 2" hairline crack in the middle of a 7' seam. Is there any way to seal this hairline without digging out the entire 7' and recaulking?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice

adamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc View Post
1 - Widespread caulk: Many of the joints were caulked and smoothed so that the caulk covered the seam, but also covered the 3/4" edge of the trim board and 1/2" - 3/4" up the stucco. Then everything was painted with elastomeric paint. in many places the caulk has cracked along the seam and is still stuck to the stucco and trim board. Should I try to get rid of all of this caulk, or is there a way I can just dig out the seam and still have a good bond?
You should try and remove all of the caulk
Quote:
2 - Hairline crack: On one joint (between wooden window trim and stucco siding) the current caulk looks to be in good shape except a 2" hairline crack in the middle of a 7' seam. Is there any way to seal this hairline without digging out the entire 7' and recaulking?
You should dig out the entire 7" and re-caulk

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #3

Ya, it's always a good idea if you can to get the old caulk out of there. You will be surprised how easily the stuff will come out once you get going.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I'd first make sure that the hairline crack is in fact a crack and not just a surface imperfection. Caulks will sometimes develop an alligator skin pattern on the surface while the sealant below is still in good condition.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the help folks...

One last question. As I've begin digging out the old caulk I'm left with raw stucco and wood at the joint to be sealed. Should I prime the stucco and wood first then caulk, or should I caulk the raw surfaces and then prime over the top?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the help folks...

One last question. As I've begin digging out the old caulk I'm left with raw stucco and wood at the joint to be sealed. Should I prime the stucco and wood first then caulk, or should I caulk the raw surfaces and then prime over the top?
Caulk will stick better to primer.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #7

I may end up pulling the trim boards off around the windows to see if I can do any better job of sealing the actual window installation. Currently the trim boards are just nailed and have warped quite a bit (a lot of the reason the caulking has cracked).

I was thinking of replacing the trim boards and screwing them down. Can I just screw them to the stucco w/ concrete screws, or do I have to find studs?

Thanks again for all the help!!!