DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   recaulking: cleaning out old caulk questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/recaulking-cleaning-out-old-caulk-questions-26956/)

adamc 09-17-2008 02:20 PM

recaulking: cleaning out old caulk questions
 
Hey there folks,

I'm going to be recaulking around windows/doors before the rains come and I had some questions. I know to clean out old caulk prior to applying new caulk but had some specific situations I'd love to get some advise on. Most of my recaulking work will be joints between wood trim boards around doors/windows and stucco. I'm planning on using polyurethane caulk to reseal. I'm not planning on repainting the entire house at this time.

1 - Widespread caulk: Many of the joints were caulked and smoothed so that the caulk covered the seam, but also covered the 3/4" edge of the trim board and 1/2" - 3/4" up the stucco. Then everything was painted with elastomeric paint. in many places the caulk has cracked along the seam and is still stuck to the stucco and trim board. Should I try to get rid of all of this caulk, or is there a way I can just dig out the seam and still have a good bond?

2 - Hairline crack: On one joint (between wooden window trim and stucco siding) the current caulk looks to be in good shape except a 2" hairline crack in the middle of a 7' seam. Is there any way to seal this hairline without digging out the entire 7' and recaulking?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice

slickshift 09-17-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamc (Post 158932)
1 - Widespread caulk: Many of the joints were caulked and smoothed so that the caulk covered the seam, but also covered the 3/4" edge of the trim board and 1/2" - 3/4" up the stucco. Then everything was painted with elastomeric paint. in many places the caulk has cracked along the seam and is still stuck to the stucco and trim board. Should I try to get rid of all of this caulk, or is there a way I can just dig out the seam and still have a good bond?

You should try and remove all of the caulk
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamc (Post 158932)
2 - Hairline crack: On one joint (between wooden window trim and stucco siding) the current caulk looks to be in good shape except a 2" hairline crack in the middle of a 7' seam. Is there any way to seal this hairline without digging out the entire 7' and recaulking?

You should dig out the entire 7" and re-caulk

Matthewt1970 09-18-2008 09:45 AM

Ya, it's always a good idea if you can to get the old caulk out of there. You will be surprised how easily the stuff will come out once you get going.

Maintenance 6 09-18-2008 12:08 PM

I'd first make sure that the hairline crack is in fact a crack and not just a surface imperfection. Caulks will sometimes develop an alligator skin pattern on the surface while the sealant below is still in good condition.

adamc 09-19-2008 09:08 AM

One more question
 
Thanks for the help folks...

One last question. As I've begin digging out the old caulk I'm left with raw stucco and wood at the joint to be sealed. Should I prime the stucco and wood first then caulk, or should I caulk the raw surfaces and then prime over the top?

Matthewt1970 09-19-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamc (Post 159421)
Thanks for the help folks...

One last question. As I've begin digging out the old caulk I'm left with raw stucco and wood at the joint to be sealed. Should I prime the stucco and wood first then caulk, or should I caulk the raw surfaces and then prime over the top?

Caulk will stick better to primer.

adamc 09-19-2008 05:30 PM

another last question
 
I may end up pulling the trim boards off around the windows to see if I can do any better job of sealing the actual window installation. Currently the trim boards are just nailed and have warped quite a bit (a lot of the reason the caulking has cracked).

I was thinking of replacing the trim boards and screwing them down. Can I just screw them to the stucco w/ concrete screws, or do I have to find studs?

Thanks again for all the help!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved