Really Confused Please Help - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
SPB

Rewards Points: 25

Really Confused Please Help

I am having problems in my new basement and am not sure what the cause is. Here is what is happening:

I had a taper come in to do all the muding and taping for my basement. I wanted him to do everything and all I had to do was paint. So he did and tells my that he put primer on and backrolled it. After he had primed I waited about a week and then sand down all the walls, then started to paint. I put 2 coats on of Hirshfields platnum ceramic eggshell ($40 a gallon) with the purdy white dove 3/8 nap roller. After putting these 2 coats on I realized that there was not stipple of teture building at all so because of that I could see every butt joint and the seam 54 inches down from the wall where they had put the joint compound on with the 10 inch knife.

Then I stopped and had a painter come in and told me that the purdy white dove doesnt build any texture and that I needed to use a 1/2 of 3/4 inch roller to build up the stipple to hide those areas. So I had him put a coat on with the 3/4 inch roller the other day and it helped a little by creating a little bubble but it didn't create any stipple at all. On top of this when i run my hand across the wall it feels extremely dry. When I run my hand across my walls upstairs it had a little bit of an oily feel. They are both the same paint. It is almost like when I put a coat on the wall it is soaking right in. I am not sure why this is happening. Please help.

Advertisement

SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What primer was used ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
SPB

I am not sure. If I remember it was kilz or pvc. But even if it was bad primer after the first coat it should have sealed it and then next two coats should have been building but it hasn't and the wall feels extremely dry. Could it be the drywall?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Cheap crappy primer to begin with. Either prime it all again with a quality primer, or if it was me I would just apply another coat with the 1/2 inch nap and be done.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Cheap crappy primer to begin with. Either prime it all again with a quality primer, or if it was me I would just apply another coat with the 1/2 inch nap and be done.
Sorry. But it definitely sounds like an inappropriate or inadequate primer to start to me too. If it were my place, I would start over with a decent paint store primer and then two coats of nice paint. As Chris suggests, a final coat of nice paint with a 1/2" nap roller should do it too I guess. And you are probably nearing the end of your patience for painting this same room?

Remember to roll from your wet areas into your dry ones. "W" pattern or whatever works for you but never just parallel roller tracks. Take your time, don't be afraid to put some paint on. Just work out the roller lap marks as you go.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
SPB

yes I am loosing my patience on this room. It has been 3 coats and 9 gallons of paint. If the last coat of 3/4 nap roller didn't create any stipple how will i know another coat will? Also if I do prime it again will coat of good primer be enough?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
SPB

I found out from my taper it was glidden primer.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
I found out from my taper it was glidden primer.
Well now you know.

I guess I am confused as to what kind of stipple you hope to achieve? Are you trying to match something that had some texture added to the surface or the paint upstairs?

Try bumping the roller cover up to 3/4" nap. It is more paint than you need but the roller cover may give you the eggshell/stipple look you are looking to achieve? Go slow and blend your roller lap marks. You will be applying a lot of paint.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
SPB

The last coat was 3/4 but i didn't get any stipple out of it. it was just as if it soaked into the wall. My upstairs we have a half inch nap roller used and it has the feel I am looking for. When I run my hand along my basement walls they are smooth and extremely dry feeling like joint compound.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I am sorry, but I really don't understand you at this point.

You could increase the roller cover nap up to 1 or 1.5 but you will be dealing with a lot of paint.

I suspect you are trying to achieve some stipple finish that is not going to happen with any roller cover, best of paint. And should not.

I think you need to call in a team that does faux finish or something to match what you want from upstairs translated to downstairs.

What you mean by the wall upstairs feeling oily and the one downstairs not, escapes me.

I cannot spend anymore time helping you Sorry.

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
yes I am loosing my patience on this room. It has been 3 coats and 9 gallons of paint. If the last coat of 3/4 nap roller didn't create any stipple how will i know another coat will? Also if I do prime it again will coat of good primer be enough?

If you have used 9 gallons of paint and the last coat used a 3/4 in nap, something is very bad wrong. Nine gallons of paint would do a normal sized house( I may be exaggerating somewhat).Anything more than a 1/2 nap should be giving you LOTS of stipple, too much under normal circumstances. I do not comprehend.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
SPB

Its like the paint is just soaking in. There are parts that the paper of the sheetrock is showing through. I just think a poor primer was used. Sherwin Williams recomended the builders solution high build primer (A63W100) and then put on 2 more coats of paint. Does this seem like the thing to do?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If you have used 9 gallons of paint and the last coat used a 3/4 in nap, something is very bad wrong. Nine gallons of paint would do a normal sized house( I may be exaggerating somewhat).Anything more than a 1/2 nap should be giving you LOTS of stipple, too much under normal circumstances. I do not comprehend.
Ok I lied. I will comment again. I agree with Chris. Something is very wrong and all the paint in the world is not going to fix it if you have already tossed 9-10 gallons at one room. If you have gone through so much paint you do not have drywall, you have some space alien form of paint eating sea sponge up there.

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

you dont stipple with paint, you can get a slight not smooth texture. Is your room upstairs that feels oily painted with a semi gloss type finish so it is slick?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Sprayboy-services.com

Rewards Points: 75

Adequate preparation can make even Behr paint look good. Poor preparation can't make Aura look good. Paint will always follow contours. It's not Bondo! You need to start over.

Advertisement

Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote