Re Wallpapering : Do I Need To Remove Old Adhesive? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Smokin Joe

Rewards Points: 25

Re Wallpapering : Do I need to remove old adhesive?

I am prepping some rooms in my house for painting and re-wallpapering.

The ceilings are getting re done, previously painted living room halls are getting painted, and, previously wall papered walls, I would like to re do with paintable, pseudo texture, wallpaper.

The paintable wallpaper I am considering is brewster wall covering, "paint splatter" style, which has the appearance of rolled on wallboard compound which was "knocked down" (I think that is the term).

Anyway, it is a decent heavy weight paintable paper.

My old wallpaper was also heavyweight linen like appearance paper, and came off extremely easily, just by steady pulling on the paper where some edges curled up (it was up 15 years+).

I have browsed many discussion on this site about the importance of removing all traces of previous adhesive and priming/sealing prior to repainting, but, is all of that neccessary, if, I will be reapplying a thick pre-pasted paper? I realize that there could be some interaction between the previous adhesive/paste and the new paper's paste, but, that is why I am here asking.

What is your experience folks?

Smokin Joe....

Advertisement

jombres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

It won't help you -
You want to get a good foundation for your new paper to hang on.
And hanging on top of old glue is really a hassle-
You don't need to get it off to the degree of painting, but i usually do and then reprime. Often the wall ( if it's sheetrock) gets weakened by stripping, and you want to be able to remove your new paper in say 15 years.

Advertisement

jombres (11-15-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,300

Brushjockey is right...........it's a HUGE hassle going over top of old adhesive. Sometimes it literally turns to mud when reactivated. Then all that mud oozes out of your seams and discolors your expensive paper, drips on your woodwork, and pools on your carpet. Plus you want to be able to adjust and move your paper to get it in place and that extra layer of adhesive makes it very difficult to do. I always get as much of the old off as possible and then I prime with SW's Pre-wallpaper primer.......gives you a sealed, sized, and perfectly smooth surface upon which to work. You can cheat and skip some of these steps, but, you pay a huge price for it in the long run.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jombres (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
It won't help you -
You want to get a good foundation for your new paper to hang on.
And hanging on top of old glue is really a hassle-
You don't need to get it off to the degree of painting, but i usually do and then reprime. Often the wall ( if it's sheetrock) gets weakened by stripping, and you want to be able to remove your new paper in say 15 years.

really?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-15-2011), jombres (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Brushjockey is right...........it's a HUGE hassle going over top of old adhesive. Sometimes it literally turns to mud when reactivated. Then all that mud oozes out of your seams and discolors your expensive paper, drips on your woodwork, and pools on your carpet. Plus you want to be able to adjust and move your paper to get it in place and that extra layer of adhesive makes it very difficult to do. I always get as much of the old off as possible and then I prime with SW's Pre-wallpaper primer.......gives you a sealed, sized, and perfectly smooth surface upon which to work. You can cheat and skip some of these steps, but, you pay a huge price for it in the long run.
Isn't that how "The Blob" started?

Chrisn, I saw BJ's post last night, and was going to ask him if he's been properly deputized to discuss wallpaper.

OP, since I don't hang paper, I have nothing productive say, other than to follow these old timer's advice. I'm just teasing. You're from jersey shore, what parts?
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-15-2011), jombres (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Isn't that how "The Blob" started?

Chrisn, I saw BJ's post last night, and was going to ask him if he's been properly deputized to discuss wallpaper.

OP, since I don't hang paper, I have nothing productive say, other than to follow these old timer's advice. I'm just teasing. You're from jersey shore, what parts?
Joe
Joe, Lanoka Harbor, right next to Forked River...or as they say in these parts...."Exit 74" lol
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm exit 0, figuratively. Literally, I'm exit 1, but claim 0 status. The final destination. I'm in Villas, which is the western point, the bayside, of the triangle formed by Cape May, exit 0, and Wildwood, also exit 1.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Hey, this weekend the wife and I will be in Ridgewood to celebrate her mom's 90th-- I'll wave!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'm exit 0, figuratively. Literally, I'm exit 1, but claim 0 status. The final destination. I'm in Villas, which is the western point, the bayside, of the triangle formed by Cape May, exit 0, and Wildwood, also exit 1.
oh, then you must surely know of the NJ State BBQ Championship in Anglesea/N. Wildwood. My favorite event of the summer. I judge the BBQ contest there. And afterwards, support the Anglesea Fire Department with the consumption of beer and souvenir beer cup...
Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Smokin Joe

Hi Guys,
I am pleased to say that all my old wallpaper adhesive (nod to chrisn) is cleaned off the walls (found hot water and vinegar with roller and spray bottle worked best), walls patched, and coated with a layer of GARDZ (was able to find in a paint store right here in town under my nose).

So I am no just about ready to start hanging my new textured paintable paper. Most sources Ive read say that after pre-pasted paper is wetted in the paper tray, to book it for few minute on the work table, then bring to the wall and hang and begin smoothing.

However, the instructions on the roll of paper says to put in water for 10 minutes, then bring to wall and hang. (skipping the book step). What do you guys make of that? Im thinking I will start in a less noticeable area for my first few pieces and see how it goes....
joe
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

For what its worth- as a pro hanger I never use a flower tray soaker. I always roll on even water after cutting the sheet to size.
Booking gives the soak time. Different papers need-require different times. Some will adhere to themselves if booked for too long or not wet enough. Some will easily curl making booking tricky. Some rip very easily when wet.
This is where a bit of experience with hanging pays off.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

I would recommend that you let the manufacturer's instructions guide you on this.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombres View Post
Hi Guys,
I am pleased to say that all my old wallpaper adhesive (nod to chrisn) is cleaned off the walls (found hot water and vinegar with roller and spray bottle worked best), walls patched, and coated with a layer of GARDZ (was able to find in a paint store right here in town under my nose).

So I am no just about ready to start hanging my new textured paintable paper. Most sources Ive read say that after pre-pasted paper is wetted in the paper tray, to book it for few minute on the work table, then bring to the wall and hang and begin smoothing.

However, the instructions on the roll of paper says to put in water for 10 minutes, then bring to wall and hang. (skipping the book step). What do you guys make of that? Im thinking I will start in a less noticeable area for my first few pieces and see how it goes....
joe

Really?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Really?

OOOOPS.....sorry...that was supposed to be 10 SECONDS, not 10 minutes!

But 10 seconds seems rather brief to me...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

No, that would be accurate.

Advertisement