Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

Re-staining inside steps

I just removed carpet from foyer and steps to 2nd floor. The bottom section of the steps were rebuilt and replaced 30 years ago (had been previously removed as well as the bannister during a duplex job)j.
The PO just stained the edges of the bottom section of steps as the center was carpeted. So I now have nice oak steps with dark stain (probably walnut) on edges only.

So my questions is what's the best way to fix this? Stain only the center of treads and risers or sand and restain entire steps and landing? The steps will be covered with tread carpet and on the landing after staining complete. Also the edge of the landing (think it's called a bull nose) is weak in one area. How to fix this?

I will have new bannisters made and added after steps complete. I assume I need to complete the steps beforehand?

Any advice is most appreciated. I've never stained anything before.

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

Re-staining inside steps

Guess I should have asked whether I should seal the bare wood in center of treads and risers. Or just stain them or leave them be???

Any suggestions ??

Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,028

Re-staining inside steps

You have a better chance of winning the lottery, seeing god and getting struck by lightning all in the same day than to get the middles to match the edges. Plus it will overlap where the 2 meet. You will have to sand it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Haste Makes Waste

Re-staining inside steps

Yeah, I knew I had to do some sanding. Since the center area will be recovered I'lm not sure whether to put all the work into re-staining them. So if I don't re-stain, should I put some type of sealer on the bare oak? It seems to have a very slight sheen in some areas. Is that a result of the router or is that what it should look like after sealing (maybe it is sealer).
The bannisters have to be made regardless. FUN! ! ! FUN ! ! ! til daddy took the t-bird away!!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Re-staining inside steps

If you are going to cover them back up, just throw a quick coat of poly on them and be done with it.I would think you have enough to do anyway
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Haste Makes Waste

Re-staining inside steps

Chris...seems you have a way of reading my mind. Seems one project opens up 15 more for each room, lol.

My main concern is to protect the bare wood center of the steps, as the outside stained areas will show after tread runner is installed. It seems to have a very low smooth sheen that may be a poly or some type of protectant, just not sure. They appear to be red oak steps. I just want to be assured the carpet backing doesn't mar the wood. Although I just removed carpet that had been on those steps 30 years since they were built and no marring or scarring. So what would you do Chris??? Leave them alone or poly? If I poly this area, would I be able to have them completely restained in the future. If I poly only the center area, will it take stain in future if I want to have the steps refinished with the floors.
The floor in this room is in great shape and won't have to be refinished at this time, just the nose on the stair landing needs to be reinforced. But I'm sure down the road sometime I'll have all steps and the foyer floor refinished as well as LR and DR and of course want to match evenly.

Ahhhhhhh . . . and now to find a GOOD finish carpenter to cut, miter and stain all new quarter rounds to match baseboards, lol. I'll never figure out why carpet installers toss those things as I think they look better re-installed after laying carpet. Still down in 2nd floor area. And then the bannisters. (I keep asking myself why I start these projects).

I keep hoping and praying all week the jolly green giant would visit me last week while carpet removal was taking place. That wasn't too bad. It's just getting the nails, tacks and staples out. That's a nightmare. Got bro finally working on it after a threat to send him sailing, lol .

Last edited by saggdevil; 09-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

Re-staining inside steps

Leave them alone if the stain on the edges look fine. The carpet and padding will protect the wood.

Quote:
Although I just removed carpet that had been on those steps 30 years since they were built and no marring or scarring.
And that is proof of it.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Haste Makes Waste

Re-staining inside steps

Great guys....thanks so much for responses.

Another question...if I put wax on these steps prior to the new tread runners will it penetrate the grain and affect future staining?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #9

Re-staining inside steps

Yes it can on bare wood. Leave them alone. I know you want to protect them, but they already did fine for 30 years. Your carpet will wear out before the wood will show any signs of wear.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Haste Makes Waste

Re-staining inside steps

Okay Mathew....I'll just leave them alone (clean only prior to new runner) and thank you so much for the advice. I'd shoot myself down the road if I wanted to stain and leave uncovered (which I'll probably do eventually) and had ruined them with product. Thanks again and I'll let you guys know howthis lil' project finishes out . If anythink like the LR and foyer walls, it'll be beautiful.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Re-staining inside steps

Matthew is right. Whenever you get to re staining or whatever, it will all have to be sanded down anyway.So, one less project to worry about, that's a good thing!

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote