Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Re-staining

Hi folks, newbie here with a question. Iíve got a house that was stained approx 8yrs ago using Benjamin Moore Moorwood stain. Itís now just starting to show itís wear. Not bad, but a few knots just becoming visible. Weíre having a painter do some facia/rake trim work and he also gave us an estimate to re-stain the entire house (1 coat) the same color but using Sherman Williams WoodScapes stain. He said because the existing stain isnít ďbadĒ, and itís the same color, just one coat should be fine for a fresh finish and added life. Does this sound legit? Iíve always heard itís not so much how many coats you apply, but how good of a prep-job you do before painting that really determines the final outcome. So is this guy cutting corners, or is there very little prep work required if the house is in decent shape and could just use a little ďfreshing upĒ. Any thought/comments/feedback would be appreciated! Thanks, Sully

Sully_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 50

Re-staining

Well, what exactly are you staining? Your whole house exterior?

The house should be powerwashed first, but other than that if it's in good shape, it's usually not even preferred to give more than 1 coat of stain. They make different formulations of Woodscapes I think, so it makes a difference which you're using I think.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Sully_454 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Re-staining

Sorry. My bad. Yes, they are powerwasking prior as well. And the existing BM stain is a Premium exterior latex solid. He didn't say a particular type of SW WoodScapes. It looks like there's 2 on their website; acrylic solid color & Poly semi-transparent.
Sully_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Re-staining

Solid woodscapes usually takes 2 coats for proper coverage. If you just want a one coat maintenance coat, I would use what was used originally.

Sent from my iPhone using diychatroom.com
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (08-11-2014), Sully_454 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Re-staining

One good heavy coat can be fine over existing solid stain in good condition, but if you want the material warranty from SW you have to apply two.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (08-11-2014), Sully_454 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Painting contractor

Re-staining

I re-stained a house last year with Woodscapes. Pressure washed, waited 3 days for it to dry then 2 coats as recommended by label directions (good stuff to know about on the side of the cans). I was very satisfied with the product but it does need two coats IMO.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Re-staining

Woodscapes is a good product, but even though your going with the existing color that is on the home you still may need two coats of the Woodscapes. It depends on how faded the existing solid stain is and other variables. In general if your just applying a maintenance coat you should stick with the same product that was applied originally and follow manufacturer specs for maintenance coating.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 50

Re-staining

Usually one coat recommendations are for penetrating stains. Woodscapes (I haven't used it) sounds like an acrylic film forming stain. In that case 2 coats makes sense, but personally I consider these more paint like than stain like.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote