Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Share |

Re-Primer Walls

Made the mistake of primering my walls with a white primer before applying a red paint. The red barely covers and is blotchy.

I read, albeit too late, that I should use a dark gray primer before applying red paint. Wished I had known that sooner.

Anyways, I painted yesterday. How long do I need to wait before applying the gray primer and trying it all over again? I assume that I will need to lightly sand down the walls to get some of the gloss off before primer?

I am using Behr paint, and the topcoat is a Satin finish.

cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Re-Primer Walls

Remember, your primer color can change your finish color slightly. If thats not a big deal, then lightly sand and reprime now. If it is a big deal, then lightly sand and apply another coat (or more) of red.

Rixbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Re-Primer Walls

At this point, there's no need to prime again
You already have started the color change
Reds are probably the toughest color, and even a super-premium paint will need two coats
Your Behr, however, will most likely need 4 more color coats to look acceptable, and could easily need up to 6 more

Also at this point, I'd call it a base coat and head to your local Paint Store and get either Ben Moore's Aura or Sherwin Williams Deep Accents or Deep Colors
They are more expensive per gallon than the Behr, but the labor (time) and product ($) savings in doing it once or twice more is considerable over doing it 5 more times

It should be OK to re-coat now, but if it's a real deep color (with lots of slow-drying solvent-based tint), it might still be tacky
If it's "dry to the touch" it should be OK to re-coat
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Re-Primer Walls

What Slick said. Red is tough to cover anything but red with one coat, so you priming just made a different shade to cover.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #5

Re-Primer Walls

Behr and Red paint are two words that don't go well together. To echo what other posters said red is the WORST covering color, and not using a tinted primer or applying enough coats can greatly change the color of the paint and not give you the look you desire. Personally, I would do what the previous poster said and get some BM Aura in the red color - pick a Ben Moore color though because the conversions from Behr to BM Aura in reds tends to have some faults. If you insist on using the Behr use a GOOD tinted primer like Zinsser's 1-2-3 tinted to either gray or red - there are two schools of thought there. After tinting your primer you will still need two coats. If you use Aura two coats is all you need, no primer.

good luck!
mazzonetv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #6

Re-Primer Walls

Slick, I'm going to have to disagree with you here on the primer. In most cases, when primer is used as a stable adhesive base for the paint, it indeed makes little sense to prime on top of a fresh, stable, base coat. However, here, when the primer is needed for hide, the grey-tinted primer will do just as much good on top of the junk Behr as it would underneath it.

Will it cover some of the red the Behr already put down? Sure! But it will still do it's "real" job of covering up the original light undercoat.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #7

Re-Primer Walls

But with his first coat of red he might be 1/2 way towards the desired coverage and may only need one coat of paint. That would take him back towards grey and will probably need to coats of red ontop of that.

Last edited by Matthewt1970; 03-05-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Re-Primer Walls

Fair enough sir
However, Matthew's counter is what I'm getting at

At this point (and not being able to see actual coverage, but assuming at least 50% coverage), I'm sure two coats (possibly one) of A or DC/A would do the job regardless

With a coat of primer (gray or red), it would then more likely (still to) need two coats of A or DC/A......three coats, total
(two topcoats for sheen alone, if not for coverage reasons)

It's a close call for sure....but even if the wall is still really, really, white now, if I was called in to fix it at this point I'd bid for two coats Aura
An absolute sure fix with the least amount of labor

With Regal or Duration Home, I would bid it (a white wall to be painted deep red) for one coat tinted primer, three coats color (four coats total)...and if Regal or Duration Home looked OK with two topcoats, I might make a little extra in labor savings
But that's (two top coats with reds over tinted primer) not a sure thing, even with the big guns
Except for the Atom Bomb...Aura...and possibly Deep Colors/Accents

Either one would be two coats tops at this point
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Re-Primer Walls

I agree with the no need to prime again. Tinting primers help, but a full color of quality paint will help even more. Primers are not meant to hide. BM is the way to go.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

Re-Primer Walls

Thanks to ALL for your comments and suggestions!

I put a second coat of dark red on 1 wall to see how it would look. When I did, it looked like I didn't put any paint on at all. The white bled through so bad, and the red, where it did manage to cover a little, looked blotchy with roller marks everywhere.

So what I ended up doing was to put on 2 coats of gray primer --- almost a battleship gray color.

Tonight I put on the 1st coat of dark red, and WOW what a difference! The red covered extremely well. I will need to let it dry overnight, but with a little luck, the 2nd coat is all I am going to need.

Hard lesson learned. But, I will remember to use the gray primer in the future if the wife picks wild colors for another room.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #11

Re-Primer Walls

Are you still using Behr?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #12

Re-Primer Walls

Yep. Still using Behr. Personally, I've never had problems with it in the past. I guess I lucked out since the colors we painted the other rooms covered fine with the white primer. Learned a lesson about dark primer on this project.

In fact I just finished looking at the 1st coat this evening since it is now dry, and it looks really good. Absolutely no roller marks, streaks, etc. Only "problem" is where some gray is showing in a couple of areas because it looks like I either didn't have the roller loaded good with paint when painting that area or I just didn't roll that area good enough. But, overall, the color is even with no marks or streaks.

Second coat will be going on tonight, and looks like that will be it. Think I'll have my wife check over my shoulder to make sure I don't miss a section or put the paint on too thin.

The dark primer made all the difference. Like night and day.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #13

Re-Primer Walls

The next time you paint any wall or ceiling have the white primer tinted to as close to the top coat. you will have no problem with bleeding on the finish coat.
I don't find Behr very good paint. I always use MAB because the paint is self priming and I feel that MAB is a top quality paint and I never had a problem with it.
Of course it will depend on how thick you put the first coat on whether you would need a second coat or not. On bare walls you will need two coats.
Determined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #14

Re-Primer Walls

Determined,

The point we have been trying to make with the color-tinted vs grey-tinted primer is that deep color tints often have poor hide, and often the solution to poor color-coat hide (such as deep reds) is to tint the primer grey, not colored. If you tint it the same as the final color, it hides no better (and probably worse) than the poorly-hiding topcoat.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote