Re-painting A 9 Year Old Wood Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Re-painting a 9 year old wood deck

Hi everyone, new guy here. Live just south of Philadelphia, 9 year old 14'*16' deck on south side of townhouse, no trees or stuff, shade in morning, sun in afternoon. I believe the deck has already been painted at least once. (Am assuming 'paint' vs stain, see image). Google, etc has Consumer Reports raving about Behr Premium Plus. I'm looking for suggestions on prepping (power wash?) and painting(?) and getting deck to last another 5+ years. Seems solid enough. I'm also 70 so I don't need deck to last 25 years. Plan to do this myself. Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Re-painting a 9 year old wood deck-deck10.jpg  

Advertisement

mrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

power was is a good way to remove old weak wood cells, As far as products paint my not be the best. http://www.dulux.ca/pro/products/woo...od-Wood-Stains this is perfect IMO. You can get it in solid color so it will look like it was painted almost when our done. Good thing is its made to take weather and rain alot more than paint would on a horizontal surface.

Advertisement

AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,062

A fairly gentle power wash, allow to dry, scrape all the loose stuff off, sand if you really want it smooth..........2 coats of Behr Premium Plus and you are done.

**NOTE: Most of us on here would highly suggest STAINING a deck rather than painting a deck. The paint usually does not hold up well on pressure treated wood and foot traffic. In this case, since it has already been painted and has lasted many years, I would simply repaint it.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not sure Behr premium plus is rated for horizontal surfaces. There are some Behr, and other brand products than are. I would look at a paint or solid stain specifically made to be applied to deck floors.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 05-03-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Thanks. I thought if a deck was painted, you could NOT then stain it. I have to now stick with painting. I assume since I cannot see the grain as in the photo, the deck has been painted. Do you agree? In 2010 Consumer Reports gave Behr's Premium Plus very high marks for use on a deck. From what I've read here, Behr is not as highly regarded. I only have around 250 square feet, so cost per gallon is not really an issue. I just want to do it right the first time.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

Do not use Behr unless you really, really enjoy stripping and restaining your deck. At the very least look for Flood SWF. But there are many, many products out there that are better than Behr. Most of those tests are specifically designed to give the Behr products a superior rating. (I'm sure someone will ask for specifics, but just do some web searches and read the complaints. Check Behr's own complaint board for starters.)
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,151

I'm not convinced that is paint. The solid pigment stains look very much like paint but are better due to formulation.

I choose to use a primer and high quality latex semi-gloss paint on the rails and spindles and the same basic color of Cabot solid pigment stain on the deck boards. I did this after pressure washing and drying.

My experience to date indicates the rails and spindles (the really PITA part) will only need to be done 1/3 the time for each time the deck boards are done. 2-3 years for the deck boards is about all you are going to get.
Gymschu (05-04-2015), klaatu (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I'm not convinced that is paint. The solid pigment stains look very much like paint but are better due to formulation.

I choose to use a primer and high quality latex semi-gloss paint on the rails and spindles and the same basic color of Cabot solid pigment stain on the deck boards. I did this after pressure washing and drying.

My experience to date indicates the rails and spindles (the really PITA part) will only need to be done 1/3 the time for each time the deck boards are done. 2-3 years for the deck boards is about all you are going to get.
I've never tried the Cabot products but they do for the most part have a pretty solid reputation.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

Thanks. I stopped in a Benjamin Moore store today and showed an ipad photo of deck and a small paint scrapping piece from deck. Rep also though it was stain on deck. So I think I'm now going to try stain. Need to prep with bleach and TSP and power wash? Was told, stain does not require priming.

I was thinking along same lines, doing the flat deck part. Rails and spindles look 'pretty good' for now. They should be "painted?"

Latest recommendation is use Superdeck products from Sherwin Williams.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #10

Super deck has some good products. Here's one of their solid deck stains.

http://www.superdeck.com/mobile/products/product?id=33

I haven't used that one, but have always liked their products.

Benjamin Moore has a good solid deck stain too, Arborcoat.

A TSP wash is a good start. After that scrape and/or sand (80 grit or rougher) any remaining loose paint and damaged wood fibers to get a stable, solid surface.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
ltd

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Super deck has some good products. Here's one of their solid deck stains.

http://www.superdeck.com/mobile/products/product?id=33

I haven't used that one, but have always liked their products.

Benjamin Moore has a good solid deck stain too, Arborcoat.

A TSP wash is a good start. After that scrape and/or sand (80 grit or rougher) any remaining loose paint and damaged wood fibers to get a stable, solid surface.
I have always liked deckscapes solid but they are discontinuing it .have any of you pros used superdeck solid
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 229

I did decks for two houses right next to each other.

One deck was for one of my favorite customers. I really wanted it to come out great. I spent lots of time sanding it and getting into all the nooks and crannies. Making it perfect. I put Flood stain on it.

For the other deck, the customer bought some Behr paint. I didn't really expect it to last, but I sprayed on a primer and two coats of paint and hoped for the best.

Three years later, the Flood stain has been a catastrophic failure. It started peeling after a few months and now it is just plain horrible.

I haven't had a chance to look at the paint job up close, but from across the yard, it looks perfect.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
I did decks for two houses right next to each other.

One deck was for one of my favorite customers. I really wanted it to come out great. I spent lots of time sanding it and getting into all the nooks and crannies. Making it perfect. I put Flood stain on it.

For the other deck, the customer bought some Behr paint. I didn't really expect it to last, but I sprayed on a primer and two coats of paint and hoped for the best.

Three years later, the Flood stain has been a catastrophic failure. It started peeling after a few months and now it is just plain horrible.

I haven't had a chance to look at the paint job up close, but from across the yard, it looks perfect.

Do you remember how you sanded and with what grit? Power sand or hand sand?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Do you remember how you sanded and with what grit? Power sand or hand sand?
I used my random orbit sander. I actually bought it for that job. I don't remember the grit. Maybe 60?
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
I used my random orbit sander. I actually bought it for that job. I don't remember the grit. Maybe 60?

I was curious because over sanding can actually cause the type of failure you describe. It's possible to "polish" the wood to the point that it inhibits adhesion/penetration Doesn't seem too likely though if you used 60, or even 80 grit.

I've always had good success with the Flood. Interesting that it didn't perform in this case, especially with the prep work done.

So many things can go wrong with coatings on decks.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-05-2015), ToolSeeker (05-05-2015)