Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
jho

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

re: interior/exterior paint fans

For some reason, I never really thought about this. I've started my own business a couple months ago, and a question came up with a potential customer, if I had an exterior paint fan so they could look colors over for the exterior of their home. Are the paint fans you get through Sherwin Williams, or any other paint supply company, for both interior and exterior paints, or is there a separate deck that I can get for just exterior colors that differs from the one for interior color samples? TIA!

jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Depends on what company. Just go and ask for one.
If you are a contractor they will probably give you one, if you are really green they might charge you a few for it.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
jho

Thanks BJ, I guess I'm still wondering though. With the fan decks that you get from SW being as large as they are, are all those colors offered for both interior and exterior? I know all those colors are available for interior, but I wasn't sure if there were exclusive colors for exterior.
jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

You can ask them. I think so.
And it might depend on what line of paint.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

SW's fandeck is for both interior and exterior colors.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There are some designer color collections that are supposedly for interior use. You probably would not use the historic colors in the Ben Moore fans for interiors. Different color schemes out there for interior and exterior have their own color charts but not color fans. Off whites have their own fans in some paint lines. Color fans I have from the majors, to answer your question, are inclusive and the color can be put into any appropriate tint base---interior or exterior. Occasionally you may find a color that cannot be mixed into a particular paint product because the base is not availed. Some factory---not store tinted---colors are exclusive to interior or exterior products but they are still included in the overall color fans.

Just advise your clients that deeper colors on an exterior are going to show fading from UV rays more over time and faster perhaps than applied to interior spaces. Buying quality paint and stain with as much UV protection as possible will help.

I've never paid for a color fan but I bought a lot of paint and had design credentials as well. I think they retail for $15 if your dealer is being stingy. Most dealers will at least lend you one if you do not need one on a regular basis.

I used mainly Ben Moore paints and was able to get large swatches for clients to use within a day also so you should look into that. It is very hard to be sure about the color choice for an entire exterior from a tiny paint chip. Clients can staple 8x8 swatches for a better feel for the color. Buying those test bottles (if they happen to pick a color they come in) or even a quart before 20 gallons is not a bad idea either.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote