Re-finishing Cabinets By Staining Vs. Painting White Semi-Gloss - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-finishing cabinets by Staining vs. Painting White Semi-Gloss

The colorist I worked with recommended that I refinish my bathroom cabinets by painting them in a white semi-gloss color.

The other option is restaining them if it's too expensive for me. At first I didn't know that painting them white would be more expensive than re-staining them.

Does anyone know how much more significantly expensive it may be? My kitchen cabinets (the same wood) were just cleaned up a bit and restained to shine a bit and they look very nice, but they go with the color I have painted the room.

The bathroom would look a whole lot nicer with the cabinets matching the 3 doors of the bathroom, the molding, trim combined with turquoise/lavender walls.

Thank you.

Advertisement

Trudijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudijane View Post
The colorist I worked with recommended that I refinish my bathroom cabinets by painting them in a white semi-gloss color.

The other option is restaining them if it's too expensive for me. At first I didn't know that painting them white would be more expensive than re-staining them.

Does anyone know how much more significantly expensive it may be? My kitchen cabinets (the same wood) were just cleaned up a bit and restained to shine a bit and they look very nice, but they go with the color I have painted the room.

The bathroom would look a whole lot nicer with the cabinets matching the 3 doors of the bathroom, the molding, trim combined with turquoise/lavender walls.

Thank you.
to paint them it will cost whatever you get charged for 1 quart of each.........oil primer ..........finish paint...........should be less then $50

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #3

Thanks.

$50 isn't too bad. I've also painted most of the walls and ceiling of the bathroom. The only problem with it is that there is not one straight line between colors or ceiling~ That blue tape doesn't seem to do the job on textured walls.

So what's left in the bathroom are:
The cabinets to be painted white

All the doors/trim (which are now lavender) to be painted white

Make the lines straight unless I do it with an artist's brush - but I don't know if I would be patient enough. How would a painter touch up that sort of problem?

Then there's the problem of a washer/dryer that can be pulled out easy enough to do a proper job - but harder to move back into place w/o the hose coming out. Can I expect the painter to do this?

I painted most of the walls to save costs, hopefully, even though the lines are not straight. I've been hearing to get some 'green' tape because the masking tape doesn't work on textured walls.

Trudijane
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Super Master Painter

only a painter can fix bad lines.............if the homeowner made the bad lines then not a good chance of them fixing them........and if you pay a painter to paint then he BETTER MOVER WHATEVER HE NEEDS TO MOVE TO DO HIS JOB................expect nothing else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
Super Master Painter

it burns me up when guys dont move stuff .............lazy and want to make a buck for nothing
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
it burns me up when guys dont move stuff .............lazy and want to make a buck for nothing
First, I don't know what to expect which is why I'm posting here. I was only trying to get some painting done while waiting for the original painter to show up.

As for moving things, I did ALL the moving prior to the painter doing any painting which was a big job in fact I did more than expected to make the painter's job easier. As far as having uneven lines, there's really nothing to be moved in the bathroom. As for a new painter touching up uneven lines, I'm of course willing to pay him for whatever it costs to finish up the bathroom.

I did not create the uneven lines on purpose. I was very careful with the prep work. I just didn't know that with textured walls and blue tape - it's highly likely that there won't be a straight line. You make it sound like I've done something wrong or it's a bad thing to ask a painter who I will pay to fix the bad lines.

I already have an independent painter who is willing to touch up the seams where I painted for $50 which I don't mind paying at all. However, since I have a new painter coming today to assess the whole house, I thought I might ask him first, if he will do that, as part of finishing the bathroom. He is giving me an estimate of all that I ask him to do in the rest of the bathroom.

I frankly don't understand the anger in your posts. I do everything I can to make it easy for the painter, including moving furniture, buying the paint, etc. and expect nothing for free.

Trudijane
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,070

Yes your painter should move anything he can to paint behind it. I think Ole34 was refering to the painters cutting corners (excuse the pun) to get a job done quicker, not a homeowner. We typicly tell people to get anything they can out of a room and move the rest to the center. Anything they can't move themselves we are more than happy to move for them.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Yes your painter should move anything he can to paint behind it. I think Ole34 was refering to the painters cutting corners (excuse the pun) to get a job done quicker, not a homeowner. We typicly tell people to get anything they can out of a room and move the rest to the center. Anything they can't move themselves we are more than happy to move for them.
OK, sorry. Maybe I misunderstood the previous posts. Thanks for clarifying. I just didn't understand the part about a painter being unwilling to touch up the uneven lines between seams. And, of course, whatever time that would take him, I would pay him for. I tried, but I'm an amateur and that blue tape does not seem to work and I was very careful about prepping.

I'm probably better than most in 'moving' furniture myself when I shouldn't be because my back is not in the best of shape. I have a very fully furnished house which is why I have to do this area by area. In my bedroom, all I had left in there was 2 dressers in the middle of the room (there was nowhere else to put them) and one bed which had to be taken apart to move...however, that was easier than I anticipated.

What really irritated me was that he was complaining that he didn't have enough room to work even though it was just 3 pieces of furniture left in the middle of the room. There was plenty of room to work. I worked so hard in moving the little and big things that I was exhausted and would do that for any painter, since he's a painter and not a mover!

I'm a little ambivalent about moving the washer/dryer though. It's not that tough to move, but very hard to move back into place, flush to one wall - and usually the hose pops out from the moving so I may have to call my plumber to put it back in. Also, they can only move as far out as the door, so the painter would have to get on top of the dryer and sort of uncomfortably paint behind it as far down as he can go.

Everything gets a little complicated preparing for painting. Now I don't know what to do about the handrails. Should I keep the old wooden ones which desperately need re-finishing? or should I buy just one metal, more simpler one.

Painting feels like moving!
Trudijane
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #9

Staining will not be much cheaper. You still have to buy the stain and some type of clear top coat. I would also think staining will be alot more work. You will have to sand out all the old finish which will be alot more work than simply roughing up prior to paint. The top coat will also be an issue. A basic poly is easy to apply but might not look great. Modern cabinetry is usually fishished by sraying laquer or something like that. You will have to rent a good sprayer and spend some time practicing.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudijane View Post
I just didn't understand the part about a painter being unwilling to touch up the uneven lines between seams

i never said that...........a painter should do whatever you pay him to do, me personally i do a lot of small extras at no charge.........heres the quote i made below

''only a painter can fix bad lines.............if the homeowner made the bad lines then not a good chance of them fixing them''

what i meant by this was that if a homeowner made the bad lines to begin with not much chance of ''THEM'' the homeowners correcting the lines.........i made no reference to a professional painter not wanting to correct them.............a painter should do whatever you pay him to do and that includes moving all furniture in the work space.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
i never said that...........a painter should do whatever you pay him to do, me personally i do a lot of small extras at no charge.........heres the quote i made below

''only a painter can fix bad lines.............if the homeowner made the bad lines then not a good chance of them fixing them''

what i meant by this was that if a homeowner made the bad lines to begin with not much chance of ''THEM'' the homeowners correcting the lines.........i made no reference to a professional painter not wanting to correct them.............a painter should do whatever you pay him to do and that includes moving all furniture in the work space.
Gotcha ! I just misinterpreted you the first time. Sorry. Actually, my new painter just came and left and I think it's going to be a much better experience than the last one. He also told me how to get a straight line on my textured walls (an education), but also told me I did a good job otherwise.

Will keep you all posted!
Thanks.
Trudijane
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Super Master Painter

yeah keep us posted.................glad new painter guy seems to be working out

Advertisement