Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Ralph Lauren Regent Metallics

I have been using RL Regent Metallics Rich Blue in a 8x12 bedroom. I've tried six coats with their technique and am not succeeding at having an even look. I've talked to distributor and don't think I am making any major errors.

I get lap lines that when I try to remove with the light x strokes leave a cloudy/faux patchiness. I also have parts where the roller consistency is uneven and looks patchy. I tried extender with the last coat and that helped but this still dries exactly how it looks when applied which is anything but even.

I don't know what to do different and really am tired of painting so I would prefer a one coat fix versus starting over with something else. Also, really love the color so I am hoping to find a way to salvage this.

I am using their rollers. Not getting a hammered effect but honestly the roller is so saturated after a short while that I am not sure what difference it makes versus a regular roller.

Ideas?

nstarsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Don't know anything about the product your using. I only used RL specials one time. It didn't turn out the way it was supposed to but the customer loved it anyway. Honestly, I think you would have gotten it by now, as it seems you're dedicated. If you can get RL Rich Blue in a straight eggshell, put that on. At least you'll have the color. Ben Moore has some metallics you may want to explore.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Metallics are hard to work with, especially in large areas. They have an extender and special roller cover for metallics. I personally will not apply metallics in large areas, as they can become very time consuming. Like sheridan suggested, get the color that you like in a latex paint and paint over the metallics.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I have had no luck with the metallics. I started with the Martha Stewart brand from Home Depot. The streaks it left were awful. After complaining to Home Depot I was credited for the can. Another salesperson suggested the RL Regent Metallics. I tried that and had less streaking, but streaking none the less. I am so frustrated. I tried to take a sponge and get rid of some of the streak lines and the helped a little, but overall it looked bad. I used the RL roller and a similar technique to the one on their website. I am not sure I want to give up, but may have to.
chrisz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

It is next to impossible to make any rolled metallic even. The people at the store should have told you. Every little bit of roller stipple shows, every mark, trail, overlap...hell, even the direction you roll shows. The metallics are designed to be used in Faux finishes, not rolled solid on a wall. Ive had a few pro's spray some things, but I was less than impressed with the overall finish, as were they.

If it were me, I'd dry brush a coat and see how it comes out. Its not going to be even, but thats the point. Should have a nice "distressed" look. Getting an even finish with the metallics is all but impossible, so I say go with it. Make it messed up...only on purpose

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
It is next to impossible to make any rolled metallic even. The people at the store should have told you. Every little bit of roller stipple shows, every mark, trail, overlap...hell, even the direction you roll shows. The metallics are designed to be used in Faux finishes, not rolled solid on a wall. Ive had a few pro's spray some things, but I was less than impressed with the overall finish, as were they.

If it were me, I'd dry brush a coat and see how it comes out. Its not going to be even, but thats the point. Should have a nice "distressed" look. Getting an even finish with the metallics is all but impossible, so I say go with it. Make it messed up...only on purpose
This.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

I used it before and tried to be cheap an use a regular roller an brush technique and I failed miserably ..............you have to use their speciality rollers an then tape off the ceiling an trim then roll the cut in line then roll the walls ..................... great finish if you nail it but YES pain in the ass to do
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,064

What does either Ralph Lauren or Martha Stewart know about paint? They just sold their names to someone that needed a crutch to sell what they are providing or just wanted a "name" to be associated with for advertising. Remember when Martha was with Kmart (before jail time) and Ralph had paint in HD?

I don't think either Ben or Sherman had a TV show and line of clothes, but they have a reputation, complete product line, staying value and try to provide service if at all possible.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
What does either Ralph Lauren or Martha Stewart know about paint? They just sold their names to someone that needed a crutch to sell what they are providing or just wanted a "name" to be associated with for advertising. Remember when Martha was with Kmart (before jail time) and Ralph had paint in HD?

I don't think either Ben or Sherman had a TV show and line of clothes, but they have a reputation, complete product line, staying value and try to provide service if at all possible.

Dick
RL is, or was, manufactured by Sherwin Williams.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,064

Like most manufacturers they will put any label on it as long as it does not reflect back on their name.

I only used RL once on a primed accent wall and it was a disaster and would not cover properly/adequately with 4 coats.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
RL is, or was, manufactured by Sherwin Williams.
RL is no longer affiliated with Sherwin Williams. I've used differant mettalics over the years, even Modern Masters. They are all difficult to apply with out roller tracking ect.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote