Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rain-X as window prep?

I'm planning to paint the interior of my house, which is empty, and am not a big fan of taping. I also wanted to spray the trim for a smoother finish. When it comes to windows I was wondering if spreading rain-x on the windows would prevent oversprayed paint from adhering to the windows instead of taping the windows off.

imjustdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rain-X as window prep?

interesting concept
what if the paint beads up and runs down the trim?

cant you just use a time tested method

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Rain-X as window prep?

Thanks for the thought. I haven't been able to get the results I want with a brush. But I sprayed some extra molding I have in the garage as a test and like the results much better. But since I don't like taping I was looking for an alternative to taping. And sometiems when faced with a large project my mind starts to wonder for ways to make it a little easier. And I am always amazed at the creative solutions I hear from people on forums like these.
imjustdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Rain-X as window prep?

I watched a home improvement show a fews years back where they painted the glass with some kind of substance. When it dried it was like a thin film on the windows. When there were done painting the trim, they just peeled the film off.

For the life of me I can't even remember which show that was on.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #5

Rain-X as window prep?

i apreciate your thinking
its just you have to carefully apply something
might as well use something that really works and be done with it

ive never heard of a pro using it and they earn their livings using cost effective methods

jmo

Last edited by Tom Struble; 09-11-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Rain-X as window prep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
i apreciate your thinking
its just you have to carefully apply something
might as well use something that really works and be done with it

ive never heard of a pro using it and they earn their livings using cost effective methods

jmo

He is right.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

Rain-X as window prep?

You will spend more time putting a sufficent amount of the Rain-X on the glass to block any paint from getting through, carefull to avoid getting it on the surface to paint, and then cleaning off the glass as you would just taping the glass.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Rain-X as window prep?

I am one who also thinks it is better, time-wise and results-wise, to tape a window or a glass door to avoid getting paint on the glass than it is to try to scrape off the excess. A case of been there, done that...but try it out for yourself if you want.

Now as for Rain-X, that's a bad idea. Rain-X is mostly methanol and water - after all it is a windshield washer fluid - but also contains a cationic surfactant that makes water bead up a bit more and so removes a bit more dirt. That's not a scientific explanation - it's more complex than that - but will do for the sake of this argument...this modification of windshield washer fluid is primarily a short-term fix for an immediate problem and is not a long-term remedy. It's sort of like putting a carpet protector on your carpet...it is not meant to make all stains go away nor to prevent stains from happening; carpet protectors are just meant to give you a bit more time to get the satin out before it sets. Same principle with Rain-X...

What you are thinking of doing is like putting a Band-Aid on a major wound: it's do for now but not for later. In your case, the Rain-X will reduce, say, a spot on the glass from setting, but won't do anything when it comes to something like a paint.

Now a better idea - if you had lots of glass - would be to apply a topical layer of acrylic or something like that, that is easy to remove. But such a product hasn't be found yet...and certainly not economical!

It's cheaper in the long run to apply the time spent on trying this out on actually doing it the best way we all know how...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Rain-X as window prep?

I use a roll of plastic designed to tape off windows. It sticks only to the glass and is available in a variety of widths. Just quickly trim plastic around the mullions and all is taped off. Takes about 1 hour to tape off the entire house in prep for spray painting.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote