Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

rags for faux finishing?

I am going to be trying to do some faux finishing where you use a couple different colors of paint mixed with glaze and then using a brush them on and then feather the edges together.

What is the best type of rag to use to feather the edges?

Also any tips or suggestions when doing this since I'm only used to rolling one color of paint on walls! Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,094

rags for faux finishing?

I found this on the Lowe's website.

Quote:
Several different types of material can be used for rag rolling or ragging:
  • Plastic bags
  • Corduroy
  • T-shirts
  • Cheesecloth
  • Netting
  • Terry cloth
  • Burlap
  • Linen
I bought the sponge roller at Lowe's to use on my playroom walls. I didn't like the effect of it at all. It was a waste of money.

I ended up using rolled plastic grocery bags. The walls look great.

Here's a little hint: Instead of spending $25 on the gallon of glaze, go over to the Wagner paint sprayer display and pick-up a bottle of Latex Paint Conditioner (there may be a better brand to use, Wagner worked for me). It's about $7.98 a bottle and does the same thing the glaze does, for a lot less $$. It thins the paint, but doesn't change the color. Thinning it keeps the paint wet longer on the wall so you have more time to work with it before it dry's.

Everything I read about doing this kind of painting said to work in small sections - 3' x 3'. I did that on the first 3 walls and had a heck of a time blending all the sections together to make it look uniform. When I got to the last wall, it was getting to be 5 or 6:00 in the morning and I just wanted to be done. So, I got a bunch of the plastic bags rolled-up and ready to go and rolled the top layer of paint on the entire wall. It went very fast and it turned out better than the other 3 walls. I didn't have to do any blending.

You asked about what to use to feather (blend?) the edges. I used the bags for that too. But, I had a little bit of the base coat paint in one paint tray and a little of the top coat in another tray (you could use a paper plate). This way, if you need a little more of one color in an area, you just dab it on and blend it.

I also had a stiple brush to touch-up some of the spots the next day. Some spots I touched-up with a plastic bag. The natural daylight showed the imperfect areas pretty well.

Good luck with this. It's really not very difficult. One thing I suggest though - If you can have someone handing you the bag or whatever you decide to use, it will go MUCH faster (you have to get fresh bags or rags pretty frequently). I would have been done earlier and had less blending to do if I'd had a helper.

Oh, and have lots of extra disposable gloves in the room. They get tacky from the paint fairly fast and you'll need to change them often.

Have fun. Hope this helps.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

rags for faux finishing?

Pretty much ^^^
No best per say, just what's better for you and what you want it to look like

It's really wide open

If your spouse's pajamas, old newspapers, Grandma's Feather Boa, or your kid's stuffed bunny do the trick for what you want, than that's the "best"

The key is to test it first, on a test board or scrap or something
And remember, your base coat is always your eraser
(you can always re-coat with the base coat to try another technique...though still best done on test boards or scrap)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Painter

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Schramm

rags for faux finishing?

This finish was done with 2 colors of paint mixed with glaze (1st color was washed on and allowed to dry prior to color 2). By doing it this way you get a super deep finish. I applied this with a 6" whizz roller and then simply mottled it out with a woolie. Fast and easy!
Attached Thumbnails
rags for faux finishing?-pub_interior_1_107.jpg  
Schramm is offline   Reply With Quote