DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Questions about Sherwin Williams paint for a bathroom

20K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Brushjockey 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new here and came across this wonderful website by google.

I'm planing my bathroom project which will involve painting. From what I read on this site, Sherwin Williams seems to have excellent paint, so I thought I would give it a try.

So I went to Sherwin Williams store today and talked to a sale person. He gave me a lot of information, and I have two questions to validate with experts here.
1) The sale person said the Duration Home is their top of the line and can be used in place of their Bath Paint in the bathroom. He said the Duration Home has everything the Bath Paint has, and it has even more. Is it true? And can I use the Duration Home in the bathroom?
2) Their Bath Paint and Duration home come in both satin and semi-gross finish. The sale person said the bathroom paint is no longer limited to semi-gross anymore and the satin finish works just as good. Is it true? I personally like satin finish because it's not so shiny and would like to go with it if it's true.
3) He also said I should use oil-based primer if I don't know what type of old paint I have, and their water-based paint can be put on top off their oil-based primer. Is it true?

Thanks for your help in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, you can use SW Duration in your bathroom. We use it in bathrooms all of the time and have never had a problem. It is there premium interior paint, washable, won't burnish, has mildewcides, low voc, and is 100% acrylic. You can even use it in your kitchen area, because it is very scrubbable.

#3 ·
HPNY- covered the paint- about the primer. Yes what he said about the oil primer is true, but I have gotten away from the oils as much as possible because there are such good acrylic primers that actually bond better.
I recommend a washing of the walls to get rid of any contaminates like soap, etc, ( Krud Kutter is great for this) a light sand if it is a glossy paint and prime with Zinsser 123. There are others that will also work, but I am saying that one because I think it is very available, and it dries with a little sheen so it helps to get your finish up to what it is sheen wise easier.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.