Questions About Painting Aluminum Siding - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

Questions about painting aluminum siding

The exterior of my house is aluminum siding, and I am getting ready to repaint it pretty soon. I'm coming here for any tips, advice, and to make sure I'm on the right track. I started power washing today to remove the paint in areas where it has started bubbling/peeling (which is almost everywhere).

There are already a few spots where the power washer has taken it down to the bare metal, but for the most part it seems like it is taking it down to the base layer of paint, which I am assuming is the way it appeared when it was new. Will it be necessary to prime 100% of the siding, or only where bare metal is exposed? Will it be safe to paint over the existing paint, provided it isn't peeling? Or is it better to strip it completely down to the bare metal?

Any suggestions on types/brands of paint? I am located near Chicago so I'll be looking for something that can stand up to the hot summers and cold winters. Is paint/primer in one a wise choice or will it be better to use a separate primer and paint? I have done plenty of interior painting but this is my first time doing much exterior painting, so any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 542

You only have to prime any bare aluminum. I would use a bonding primer such as Sherwin Williams DTM Bonding Primer. Then apply 2 coats of a quality latex with 100% acrylic binders. I prefer to use Sherwin Williams Superpaint when painting aluminum.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

Question about scraping. I got all the powerwashing done today (at least what I can safely reach), and started hand scraping the rest. How thorough should I get with the scraping? I have a lot of spots where the tiniest flakes of paint don't want to be bothered to come off. There are some areas of the siding that are a little dented too, which makes scraping that much more difficult.
In order to get the last little bits of paint that have lifted, what are my options? We're talking small little flakes, like when your skin peels from a slight sunburn. Should I sand it down? Use some kind of chemical stripper? Just leave it and paint right over it?
Thanks for any input.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBryan View Post
Question about scraping. I got all the powerwashing done today (at least what I can safely reach), and started hand scraping the rest. How thorough should I get with the scraping? I have a lot of spots where the tiniest flakes of paint don't want to be bothered to come off. There are some areas of the siding that are a little dented too, which makes scraping that much more difficult.
In order to get the last little bits of paint that have lifted, what are my options? We're talking small little flakes, like when your skin peels from a slight sunburn. Should I sand it down? Use some kind of chemical stripper? Just leave it and paint right over it?
Thanks for any input.
The most importaortant thing when prepping aluminum for paint is to be sure to wash all of the chalk off, the oxidized aluminum. Use tsp and a nylon scrub brush followed by a low pressure washing, as I already mentioned in my earlier response use a bonding primer on any bare aluminum and use a quality 100% acrylic latex paint, as it will flex with the weather conditions and expansion and contraction of the aluminum.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
The most importaortant thing when prepping aluminum for paint is to be sure to wash all of the chalk off, the oxidized aluminum. Use tsp and a nylon scrub brush followed by a low pressure washing, as I already mentioned in my earlier response use a bonding primer on any bare aluminum and use a quality 100% acrylic latex paint, as it will flex with the weather conditions and expansion and contraction of the aluminum.
Awesome, thank you. Knowing this will help me move on the next step with a little more confidence.