Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Share |

Questions about paint sprayers

I am planning to paint some barns and other buildings on my parents farm. The barns are about 35 feet high at the peaks. I am looking for a paint sprayer that will be able to extend out 35 feet to spray. I know the hoses will reach but my question is about maintaining spray pressure when the gun is 35 feet above the pump. How would I pick a model of paint sprayer to do this type of thing? Will any pump work?

dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

You will want an airless with at least 3000psi, a piston pump is better than a diaphragm and you will want an airless that can support a minum of 50 feet of hose. You will need to use 50 feet of hose as you need to reach 35 feet and the smallest air hose is 25 feet. You will have to have at least a 32 foot extension ladder or a lift to reach the peak. They do sell extension poles that attach to airless sprayers, but they take a little practice to get use to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Graco X7 would be fine. Should be able to pick one up for under $600. I sell the Airlessco equivalent, great pumps for residential use, or painters needing a backup pump.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a couple large ladders I can use, although a lift would be nice, they cost so much to rent. I was really just worried about having adequate pressure at the gun to coat the walls, when the gun is 35 feet higher than the pump. But if you think 3000 psi is ok then I will go with it. The Graco X7 is rated to 3000 psi and so were many others.

Does anyone know what the different tips do? How do you know you have the right tip?
dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

tips are sized different for different types of coating to atomize the paint and they will come in different fan widths. your paint should have a recommended tip size listed on it. if it is not listed you can get a product data sheet that will give you tip sizes, thinning, and pressure guide lines. most product data sheets for good paints can be found on line or from your paint supplier. good luck if you bought your paint at home depot.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstorjoh View Post
Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a couple large ladders I can use, although a lift would be nice, they cost so much to rent. I was really just worried about having adequate pressure at the gun to coat the walls, when the gun is 35 feet higher than the pump. But if you think 3000 psi is ok then I will go with it. The Graco X7 is rated to 3000 psi and so were many others.

Does anyone know what the different tips do? How do you know you have the right tip?
The first number in the tip size is doubled and that's your fan with holding the gun 10-12 inches from the surface the second set of numbers is the orifice size. A 517 tip has a ten inch fan with and a 17 orifice. Your sprayer will have a maximum tip size. The larger the orifice the thicker material you can spray. If you are spraying latex on your exterior a tip with an orifice between 15-19 is sufficient, but some smaller sprayers will not support up to a .019 orifice. If this is your first time spaying and you are using latex you may want to use a 415 or 515 tip as the .015 will put just a little less out than a larger orifice and the smaller fan will give you better control until you get use to it.

housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
davidandbess (09-28-2011)