Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question or two about redoing trim and walls

I'm redoing a few rooms in my house. It was build in the 50's so there a multiple layers of paint, patchwork needed, trim to be re-done, etc. So far, on the walls i've patched a few spots of drywall, fixed popped nails, and sanded some paint runs from the previous owner. With the trim, i've filled dents/damage and sanded and fixed some blemishes. The previous paint jobs on the baseboards annd trim was pretty poor.

Questions:

1) Whats the best way to attack uneven/bumpy paint along the baseboards with multiple layers of paint on them? Looking for a nice finish here.

2) After fixing up the trim, will one coat of primer be enough to cover the filler? I used a little wood filler before i switched to vinylized spackling.

3) I need to put a layer of primer over joint compound before i can caulk, correct?

Thanks

asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury park View Post
I'm redoing a few rooms in my house. It was build in the 50's so there a multiple layers of paint, patchwork needed, trim to be re-done, etc. So far, on the walls i've patched a few spots of drywall, fixed popped nails, and sanded some paint runs from the previous owner. With the trim, i've filled dents/damage and sanded and fixed some blemishes. The previous paint jobs on the baseboards annd trim was pretty poor.

Questions:

1) Whats the best way to attack uneven/bumpy paint along the baseboards with multiple layers of paint on them? Looking for a nice finish here.

2) After fixing up the trim, will one coat of primer be enough to cover the filler? I used a little wood filler before i switched to vinylized spackling.

3) I need to put a layer of primer over joint compound before i can caulk, correct?

Thanks
1)- this is a matter of " how far".. carve off the worst- sand with some gritty paper ( 80 g) the rest- spackle what can't be smoothed.

2) one coat of primer is always enough- until you find more things to spackle and need to prime those. But basically one coat before finish is all you need.

3) yes. It makes it much easier and the moisture from the caulk is not absorbed in to the mud- so it can do what it is supposed to.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

My house is even older, and I'm sure my baseboards are in similar shape - paint runs, chips and gouges, etc.

My method has been to sand first (I agree 80-grit works well), apply spackling compound, then re-sand. There were areas such as the top edge of the baseboard that required wood filler. I use J-B KwikWood and absolutely love the stuff. It's like a putty, and allows you to sculpt contours and edges. It also sands, primes, and paints with the same characteristics as real wood.

Combined with a razor-sharp edge of paint where the top of the baseboard meets the bottom of the wall, my baseboards look almost good as new.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Looks like i've got my plan of attack.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

easiest way to improve trim is to caulk the cracks along tops of baseboards, etc. Then paint directly over the caulking (once dry)

Also using a less glossy paint on trim will help hide imperfections, i.e. a satin or semi-gloss, as opposed to high gloss. Use the best premium paint on trim, its always worth it for durability and coverage.
ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Painting View Post
easiest way to improve trim is to caulk the cracks along tops of baseboards, etc. Then paint directly over the caulking (once dry)

Also using a less glossy paint on trim will help hide imperfections, i.e. a satin or semi-gloss, as opposed to high gloss. Use the best premium paint on trim, its always worth it for durability and coverage.
That was going to be my next question......type of paint on the trim? Though satin might be a good idea. What would you recommend for the walls as well?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

My favorite combo is BM Aura Satin on trim, BM Matte- ( Regal select or Aura) on walls.
SW makes pro Select satin that is also good on ww- but I prefer the little bit higher sheen of the Aura.
Muralo is another great co and their Satin Ultra is a great trim paint. ' There are others too-
I like a satin - some sheen- not real glossy on WW, and I like a matte because it is a bit more cleanable than a flat, but not very shiny. kind of like a very low sheen eggshell.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

If i'm doing a lot of patchwork and spot repair on the trim should i just prime it all? Also, same with the walls.......do i need to prime the entire wall or just the areas that i patched?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury park View Post
That was going to be my next question......type of paint on the trim? Though satin might be a good idea. What would you recommend for the walls as well?
The answer to that question depends partly on personal taste. Personally, I don't like painted trim. I like the wood grain much better. But... when painting, I've usually chosen semi-gloss for the trim, and satin finish for the walls.

In answer to your later question about spot-priming or priming the entire wall... Obviously you need to prime the patches, but you don't need to prime the entire wall unless you're going over gloss paint. On the other hand, priming the entire wall isn't going to hurt anything.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Prime the whole wall, the "spot" priming will flash most likely, unless you only have very small patches
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #11

Ok, i'm going to be getting my paint and primer from SW. My questions are:

1) What primer should i get considering all the patchwork and drywall repair i have done?
2) What SW line of paint for the walls?

Same for the trim:
1) With the patchwork i have done, what primer would be best for the trim?
2) Type of paint for the wood trim?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

Anyone have any thoughts on the questions i posted above?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #13

Pro classic is excellent for trim. Self leveling, excellent flow, etc.

Walls I recommend Opulence, really nice finish. Or Duration is the top line, cant go wrong with that.

Primer, an all purpose will do well.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Painting View Post
Pro classic is excellent for trim. Self leveling, excellent flow, etc.

Walls I recommend Opulence, really nice finish. Or Duration is the top line, cant go wrong with that.

Primer, an all purpose will do well.
Thanks ARC
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #15

SW - make some great paint but pricey unless you can get a discount. Either a coupon or have a friend/ contractor buy it for you. Proclassic and Duration are very good if you have the cash. SW lower builder/contractor products are unimpressive. I just used some Promar 400 and Masterhide. No better than Lowes.

rdanville is offline   Reply With Quote