DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question on Sherwin Williams Paint

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jeffnc 
#1 ·
I am looking to use Sherwin Williams paint for my interior. A few questions:

1. Does SW have a paint and primer in one? Anyone have any advice on it?
2. What type of paint does everyone recommend from SW for walls and trim? I'd like my trim to have a bit of gloss, but not over the top. I also want the paint to hide some imperfections and be easy to clean if need be. Same with walls.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Sherwin Williams markets many levels of products. At the lowest end of the spectrum is its box store consumer brand---Dutch Boy. In its stores you can find a variety of paints ranging from nicer than consumer brands, through decent contractor grades on up to its top of the line paints.

Paint and primers serve different purposes and do not come in the same can. You might be able to substitute a marketing gymmicky paint and primer in one product for two coats of paint over a previously painted surface.

As for sheen, you should look at a sheen chart for the paints you are considering. Each label within the brand will vary its sheen options, but generally the work their way up from flat, matte, eggshell, pearl, satin, semi and finally high gloss. I strongly encourage you to try a quart in a sheen to make sure you like it before having gallons or fivers mixed!

Do remember the higher the sheen, the more imperfections will show. Higher sheens, if applied thick enough with possibly two coats, tend to be easier to wash---to a point. It is really about the resins and their thickness allowed to cure to the surface though.

I don't know the SW equivalent, but clients say Ben Moore Aura matte (flat) I put on their walls seems washable and cleans up nicely.

Best way to get rid of imperfections is to fix them before you paint.

#3 ·
mi26 said:
I am looking to use Sherwin Williams paint for my interior. A few questions:

1. Does SW have a paint and primer in one? Anyone have any advice on it?
2. What type of paint does everyone recommend from SW for walls and trim? I'd like my trim to have a bit of gloss, but not over the top. I also want the paint to hide some imperfections and be easy to clean if need be. Same with walls.

Thanks,
If your just doing previously painted walls and trim, you really don't need a primer unless there are other issues like water marks or smoke stains . Or, potential adhesion issues going over oil paint. The 'paint and primer' thing is confusing because there products generally only act as a primer on surfaces that don't really need primer anyway.
A good first step would be to determine if you do need primer.

SW paints in general (standard lines) are on the duller side compared to other brands, ie.. The duration satin is not much shinier than aura matte. And promar 400 is some of the 'flattest' flat around.

Having a bit of gloss, and hiding imperfections are kinda opposing ideas because more sheen accentuates defects. You might check out promar eggshell, it has a low sheen. The duration matte was one of the first 'washable' flats to come out, but it turned out not to really be that washable after all.

If you want the best, get the emerald matte. It's real sweet IMO.

#7 ·
The duration matte was one of the first 'washable' flats to come out, but it turned out not to really be that washable after all.
You can have a "washable" flat, or a washable "flat", but not both. Meaning: when you put something in parentheses, it means "but not really".

Duration was originally marketed as washable flat, which was deception IMO, because it was really matte (i.e. somewhere between flat and eggshell). Of course you'll be more washable if you add sheen to flat.

#4 ·
Thank You for the advice. The reason I asked about primer is because there are a few spots on the trim and wall that I patched/filled/sanded. These areas are small, but there was still sanding done. Will I need primer on this first?

#6 · (Edited)
You should prime patched areas first, unless you're putting on flat paint, then I wouldn't bother.

When you see "Paint and Primer in One", think "self priming over bare drywall". The top quality paints can pull this off depending on sheen, color and coats (and yes, SW SuperPaint is "paint and primer in one".)

I don't agree that matte finish is the same as flat, but the Sherwin Williams equivalent to Aura is either Duration or Emerald, depending on which rep you talk to. I believe the order these paints came out was Duration - Aura - Emerald. They are always trying to outstep each other.

The more cleanability you want, the more sheen you want. The more sheen you want, the more careful you have to be in preparing and priming your walls.

Sherwin Williams SuperPaint is very good paint for your walls and I use it all the time. SuperPaint in semi-gloss is also fine for trim, or Duration if you want quarts. Many people prefer ProClassic for trim, but my priority is coverage and hiding over ultimate smooth finish. If I'm painting white semi-gloss over white semi-gloss, I normally have no intention of putting on 2 coats.

#5 ·
mi26 said:
Thank You for the advice. The reason I asked about primer is because there are a few spots on the trim and wall that I patched/filled/sanded. These areas are small, but there was still sanding done. Will I need primer on this first?
Yes, the patches can be spot primed most of the time if there's just a few of them. It's a fairly common practice to just spot prime with the paint before a full coat is applied. But doing this has a lot of disadvantages. If there is any sheen at all, the spots will show through unless you use a good sealer/primer (P&P in one doesn't count)
Zinsser has a few good primers for sealing patches. Cover stain is my favorite, but its stinky.

This stuff is cheap, and works good for just normal patches

Attachments

#8 ·
I posted this question in another thread, but I think this thread is more appropriate.

I have been reading a lot of painting threads for paint types, primers and techniques. Home I purchased was smoked in for 16 years or more. Walls washed with TSP, sanded and primed. House is almost ready for paint.

I am using SW ProClassic for Trim and Cabinets. SuperPaint Flat for Ceilings/Walls. SuperPaint Satin for Kitchen/Bathrooms.

I had originally planned to use Zinsser BIN as my primer, but the contractors refused to use it because it was extremely watery and was told it could not be rolled, only sprayed. I ended up purchasing Killz Max as my primer. 2 coats of primer in highly stained areas.

Now to the main question. Will SW ProClass semi-gloss be good enough for the trims and cabinets? The Trim/Cabinets have been washed with TSP, lightly sanded and primed with Killz Max.

This has been very stressful experience, hoping someone can confirm above is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.