Question Re. Painting Walls & Ceiling With Smooth Trim Alongside Popcorn Ceiling *pic - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question re. painting walls & ceiling with smooth trim alongside popcorn ceiling *pic

This is how the ceiling is done in our house - there is a popcorn ceiling, but the texture doesn't extend all the way to edge of the wall. Instead there is a ~3" edge along the outside of the ceiling that's smooth. Right now this smooth strip is the same off-white colour as the walls. We are about to paint the walls. How should we go about painting the strip? Do we paint the strip the same colour as the wall? Do we paint it white like the ceiling? If anyone can provide pics or a link that would help, that would be great too. Is this common or rare to see in houses?

thanks!!

Advertisement

starrysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

Question re. painting walls & ceiling with smooth trim alongside popcorn ceiling *pic

putting a border like this is very common. i see more with a 4" border and many with large radious curves on the inside corners. typically the border is painted the wall color. i've paint lots of rooms with this. if you are painting the ceiling and walls paint the ceiling first then cut in your wall color. its actually pretty easy to cut in on the ceiling. start at one end and look down the ceiling and run your brush along beside the texture using it like a guide.

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So would you tape along the edge of the popcorn, or just use a brush and run it along that edge? Thankfully our wall colour is not too dark.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

your probably not going to get tape on the texture and if you do there will be gaps where the paint will run under it and theres a chance of the texture pulling off when you pull the tape. usually guys texture spray the ceiling then take a taping knife 3",4" 5" or whatever size they like and run along the corner of the ceiling and scrap the fresh texture off. theres usually a bit of build from running the knife. this makes a decent line to cut to. if you havent done alot of cutting in and uncomfortable practice cutting in before you roll out your ceiling.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

in my part of the country i never see popcorn ceilings to me this seems odd.i would paint complete ceiling and border flat white and cut in the wall as normal.but that's just me
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-11-2012), Expert Paint (07-29-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

a large portion of the people in my city are italian, i see this in pretty well every italian home.
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-10-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
in my part of the country i never see popcorn ceilings to me this seems odd.i would paint complete ceiling and border flat white and cut in the wall as normal.but that's just me
In almost 30 years,I have never seen that. I would paint the ceiling the ceiling and the walls the walls.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Starry and Prince- I also have never seen that- where are you both located?

And Prince- what would be the purpose of doing that , or is it purely style? does the texture guy run a width of 2" tape around the perimeter before spraying texture, then pull it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #9

I'm in sault ste. Marie ontario and its a very common practice here. When you spray your texture on you have a guy go right behind you with a mudding knife scrapping off the texture to make the border while its still wet. Guys will also take let's say a 8" knife and put it in the corners and turn it to make a radious. Its all for style. Painting the border is laso just a style instead of a crown moulding. When the guy scraps off the wet texture it leaves a bit of a build up of texture making it very easy to paint. It looks better then texturing to the walls nd then cutting up to the texture making a rougher line
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #10

I'm located in Brampton, Ontario. This is a relatively new house (<2 yrs) and the builder is Aspen Ridge if that helps.

Thanks so much for all the responses. At this points, I've gotten so many conflicting ideas from everywhere i've asked, so I think it's just up to us what we want to do with it. I think we may paint the strip the same colour as the ceiling, just to keep things simple. Otherwise we would have to find paint to match the current colour of the popcorn part - and it's not pure white, because that was our original thought and we tried white ceiling paint, which didn't work at all, it's too bright white. It's our first time painting our own house, so we're not exactly highly skilled. LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysim View Post
It's our first time painting our own house, so we're not exactly highly skilled. LOL
The best part about that is if you screw up your first attempt (or realize you hate the color) just paint it again and all will be hidden...
Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
The best part about that is if you screw up your first attempt (or realize you hate the color) just paint it again and all will be hidden...
Oh no, don't say that! I just want to get this done and never have to paint again! And we got samples to test the paint colours beforehand, so all should be well in that respect Good thing we did too, because we got 3 samples for the family room before we found one we actually liked.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #13

I read on another site that the strip of wall color painted on the edges of the ceiling is used on 8' ceilings to create the illusion of more height on the ceiling. I've never seen this in person, and appreciated the picture! I plan to use crown molding, so I won't be doing this idea myself.
Janeshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 738

30 years plus and I also have never once seen it done this way.
Paint the ceiling and then the wall to differant colors or add crown to cover up that untextured area.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

Ive never seen it. however, if a guy on here has seen many of them, i would listen to his advice on what to do over someone that hasnt seen it.

Advertisement

princelake (07-27-2012)