Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Automotive Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to Sellncars
Share |

Question on pricing a room????

A friend of the family has just purchased a house, some of the interior walls need to be painted. She has only gotten 2 quotes so far, 1 guy came in and quoted .50 -.60 cents per foot? So if a wall was 13ft long x 7ft high, this guy would charge $120.00 for that wall? This sounds pretty pricey to me. Do alot of the other professional painters price like this?

Sellncars

Sellncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

That's hard to answer
One reason is that most of the price is labor, and that can vary greatly
The avg. hourly wage in Cortland NY could be real different than Hyannisport MA
Real different

Then there's the what are you getting for your .50 - . 60 sq?
I coat repaint?
Walls only?
Just paint it?
Clean/sand/fill/fix/caulk/2 coatspremiumpaint?
Trim too?

What kind of shape is the wall in?
How many windows and doors?
Lot's of prep? ready to go?

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars View Post
A friend of the family has just purchased a house, some of the interior walls need to be painted. She has only gotten 2 quotes so far, 1 guy came in and quoted .50 -.60 cents per foot? So if a wall was 13ft long x 7ft high, this guy would charge $120.00 for that wall? This sounds pretty pricey to me. Do alot of the other professional painters price like this?

Sellncars

Yeah, as slickshift is saying...there are a lot of factors here. Also, where did you get the $120 from? Did the guys give quotes per wall? I'm lost on that one.

...and no, I personally dont charge by square foot for repaints. This is a repaint, right? I'm assuming it is. I charge like this for a repaint: estimated hours to complete job X hourly rate + supplies + profit.

NOTE: always remember, the lowest price is not always the best deal. Always look at the contractors appearance, vehicle, attitude, previous job pictures, paint brand used, reputation, etc....

NOTE #2:another thing to remember.... most (quality) contractors use paint that falls somewhere between $30-50/gallon....and charge somewhere between $30-50/hr.

Last edited by Paintguy26; 10-09-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Paintguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Automotive Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to Sellncars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
Yeah, as slickshift is saying...there are a lot of factors here. Also, where did you get the $120 from? Did the guys give quotes per wall? I'm lost on that one. No they didn't give it per wall, i just figured a single wall in my home.

...and no, I personally dont charge by square foot for repaints. This is a repaint, right? I'm assuming it is. I charge like this for a repaint: estimated hours to complete job X hourly rate + supplies + profit. Yes, you are correct this is just a repaint.

NOTE: always remember, the lowest price is not always the best deal. Always look at the contractors appearance, vehicle, attitude, previous job pictures, paint brand used, reputation, etc....

NOTE #2:another thing to remember.... most (quality) contractors use paint that falls somewhere between $30-50/gallon....and charge somewhere between $30-50/hr.
i fully understand that a better paint will have to be added to the price, but i've never heard of anyone giving a paint estimate by the foot before. I have always heard of by the room, not a measuring tape.

Thank you,
Sellncars
Sellncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellncars View Post
i fully understand that a better paint will have to be added to the price, but i've never heard of anyone giving a paint estimate by the foot before. I have always heard of by the room, not a measuring tape.
Yeah some do it that way
IMO not the best way, it doesn't take enough into account
More common in new construction and commercial

So, to answer your question, yes, some charge by the sq. ft.
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote