Question About Gloss/hi Gloss Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 2 Post By PoleCat

Old 01-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

question about gloss/hi gloss paint

Hey. I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house. I paint rooms every 5 years or so and I usually just buy oops paint whenever I see a color I like, because I know eventually I'll use it for something. I know a lot of people here don't like Behr paint, but I've been using it for years with no problems (interior only). I've also used Valspar, SW, and Glidden, and I recently tried Olympic, but I hated it. Anyway.

I bought this beautiful pale lavender gloss paint +primer from Valspar a couple of years ago thinking I'd use it on my baseboards and trim. I ended up doing the trim in black, but I put the pale lavender on one of the doors and loved it, so I decided to paint all the doors and the hallway in this gloss paint. I have to say, it looks amazing with that black trim. It reminds of art deco for some reason, and because this was a dark hallway, it really brightened it up. I need more of it though and they no longer make this particular paint, and I've looked and can't find gloss in any brand of paint. It's either high gloss or semi gloss. So my question is, is high gloss paint the same as gloss? I called the Valspar information line and they were completely unhelpful. I'm also wondering if I should buy the Valspar high glass or go with the Behr (or another brand) and have them match the color, because I looked at reviews and people loved the Behr high gloss, not so much with the Valspar.

Also, when we were painting, the paint formed bubbles and we had to look out for that and make sure we painted over them so they weren't in the finish. A couple of the reviews said the same thing. I need more paint for 3-4 more doors and I was thinking of adding a second coat to the walls. I don't know how much difference it would make if I switched brands. Would it?

Because I'll probably repaint in 5 or 6 years, I don't want to spend $50 on a gallon of paint, but I know I'll have to spend at least $30-35. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Go with the same brand or try a different one? Thanks bunches!

Advertisement

jazzycatdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,179

Sheens are not strictly defined and can vary among different lines of paint even from the same manufacturer. As long as you aren't changing sheens in the middle of a wall, I don't think it will be too noticeable.

Advertisement

mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 178

Re: question about gloss/hi gloss paint

High gloss/ gloss very little difference, if any.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

Thanks for the input. The walls have been entirely painted with one coat. Because I did a lot of patchwork, getting small dings and stuff taken care of, if you look down the side of the wall it's a little noticeable, just slightly, but not so much looking straight at them. Hence wanting the second coat.

Since I just painted about a week ago, is it necessary to roughen it up before applying the second coat? I wouldn't think so as long as they've been wiped down, but just want it to look as good as possible.
jazzycatdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 178

No need to rough it up. Just apply your second coat and call it done.
jazzycatdances likes this.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,638

With a gloss finish you almost always have to use two coats to get a uniform sheen. Sometimes three.
Gymschu and jazzycatdances like this.

Advertisement