Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

question about applying wallpaper

I have some old plaster walls I want to paper over. I had to use quite alot of drywall joint compound (mud) in several areas, some of those areas being fairly large. My question is will this pose a problem on adhesion? The wallpaper I have is the kind with the glue already on it and you get it wet then hang it, it's the paintable textured kind (faux tin tile look). Also the walls will not be perfectly smooth, will this show through the paper? My other option is to just texture the walls with compound then paint. Thanks for any advice!
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

You need to prep the walls properly before hanging paper, which includes finishing mud and plaster and "sizing" the wall so the paper will (1) stick and (2) unstick later. Zissner sells several products. Most any paint store will sell you one. Some imperfections you can see/feel will likely show through wallpaper. Take the time to prepare the wall properly. Fill in the lows, then sand down the highs. Zissner Gardz will seal the mud/plaster so you can do with it as you like. Why paper?

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=30

Last edited by adam1885282; 03-19-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: to add link.
adam1885282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1885282 View Post
You need to prep the walls properly before hanging paper, which includes finishing mud and plaster and "sizing" the wall so the paper will (1) stick and (2) unstick later. Zissner sells several products. Most any paint store will sell you one. Some imperfections you can see/feel will likely show through wallpaper. Take the time to prepare the wall properly. Fill in the lows, then sand down the highs. Zissner Gardz will seal the mud/plaster so you can do with it as you like. Why paper?

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=30

"sizing" is an obsolete term, not relevant to wall paper installation today.You will need to have your walls as smooth as possible as any imperfections could show through the paper. Prime the walls with a WALL COVERING primer. Gardz will work just fine for this unless you need a pigmented primer.In which case Romans pro 977 is a good one, there are plenty more, just ask where ever wall paper is sold.

Why not?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
"sizing" is an obsolete term,
Not according to zissner, which makes the product you're recommending.
adam1885282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1885282 View Post
Not according to zissner, which makes the product you're recommending.

??? If they are still calling it sizing they are incorrect

A gelatinous glue for glazing or sizing canvas, paper, plaster or wood; often made from animal skins; paste

animal glue used for sizing has not been used for many,many years

"sizing" is just the improper term to use

I am not going to win in an argument with a lawyer, but I have been in the wall papering business for 25 years and do have a little knowledge pertaining to terminology. For persons hanging paper,"sizing " is an obsolete term and if Zinnser is still using it ,it is only because the masses recognize the word. It is still incorrect.

Last edited by chrisn; 03-20-2010 at 04:46 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the info guys. At least I now know I need to prep the surface more so than I planned. I'm just doing a 12" border around the top of the walls (that is what is left of the old wall) with some textured wall paper I'm cutting to fit then I'll run trim under it. I was also considering texturing it with mud instead since I'd be doing that to the ceiling and it would hide imperfections better if I can't get this old wall smooth enough. I had to really fill in some holes in the plaster with layers of compound (which likes to crack as it dries) so am still deciding.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote