Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Putty or Spackle for stair rail and latex chip/peel repair.

Hello, I've been baffled by this for a couple weeks and would like some advice.

I have four stair handrails I'm preparing for painting. They all have two coats or latex over a coat of primer. I attempted to sand them down, but the latex heated up and started to peel back. I stripped two rails to the bare wood, one rail sanded cleanly without stripping, and one sanded well over 3/4's of the rail, but the top layer of latex peeled back in a 6" spot. (ATTACHMENT Photo 1)

So, what do you recomment to repair this 6" shallow imperfection where the paint peeled/chipped back??? I experemented with some M H Readypatch spackle and it looks and feels smooth as glass; however, I'm not sure the spackle will hold up under the latex on this type of surface.

I also have some Crawford's Putty, but that stuff is a little harder to apply and I'm not sure I can thin it to the 1/32th depth of the missing latex I've peeled away.

Additionally, there's another spot on my stairs that does appear to have been repaired with spackle. It's showed up when I stripped the paint off. It seems to have held up well under the paint so far, but now that it's exposed it crumbles away when I scratch it with my fingernail. (ATTACHMENT Photo 2)

So if the answer to my first question is to use to spackle, my second question is, can I just put new spackle over the old spackle to repair the gouges and cuts I created when stripping the paint off?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Putty or Spackle for stair rail and latex chip/peel repair.-photo-1.jpg   Putty or Spackle for stair rail and latex chip/peel repair.-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by RickDel; 05-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

Bump.....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

I say if you're having success with the M & H, keep using it. 2nd question, I say yes, if the area you think was previously spackled is solid, no problem going over it again. If it's weak or damaged, sand it out first.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

pucks101 - Thanks!