Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Share |

Purdy Brushes

After cleaning my brush and putting it in the original holder to dry the bristles appear to be straight.When using it the next time the bristles seems to spread out all over the place. Is this brush finished and what did I do wrong to make it do this?I bought it at Home Depot and it is nylon/polyester.Thanks

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Purdy Brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl
....what did I do wrong ....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl
I bought it at Home Depot
The Purdy's at Home Depot are de-spec'd (yes, I and other painters have checked them out)
This alone could account for your issue

But just in case...

How many times have you used it?
What did you use it for?
What did you clean it with?

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #3

Purdy Brushes

Cant tell you how many times I have used it. I am painting interior doors. I clean the brush with mild dish soap,rinse and put it back in the holder it came in.
Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #4

Purdy Brushes

Hi Pawl
When I clean a brush I usually take a good five minutes to clean it. Keep rinsing it and making sure I get way up to the ferrule. When I do a final rinse I make sure it is clear in color.I will not stop till I have accomplished this.Here is a link via purdy http://www.purdycorp.com/dvd/play/clean_brush Good Luck

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Purdy Brushes

Excellent vid there mark

(though I do use, and other companies do recommend, a wire brush)
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Purdy Brushes

A wire brush has and will always be in my grip. Great point as well........

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #7

Purdy Brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
After cleaning my brush and putting it in the original holder to dry the bristles appear to be straight.When using it the next time the bristles seems to spread out all over the place. Is this brush finished and what did I do wrong to make it do this?I bought it at Home Depot and it is nylon/polyester.Thanks
I would not put the brush in the original holder to dry. Let it dry first then put it in the original holder ,if you like,or just hang it on a hook.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #8

Purdy Brushes

[quote=slickshift;121677]The Purdy's at Home Depot are de-spec'd (yes, I and other painters have checked them out)

"de-spec'd" is rather a vauge statement. IMO, a Purdy Glide or Dale, with the factory part number and 'built by' sticker is true OEM.

I'd like to see acknowledgement from the factory that product supplied to HD are really factory rejects, and are really different from the product at my local Kelly-Moore store.
shasta37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Purdy Brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta37 View Post
I'd like to see acknowledgement from the factory that product supplied to HD are really factory rejects, and are really different from the product at my local Kelly-Moore store.
Good luck with that
Just buy one from each
This particular instance has been confirmed by myself and other painters
You can still buy them there....I don't care
I'm sure they are fine for occasional painters
But at least out here, they are not the same
Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

Purdy Brushes

This is good to know!

I have bought countless brushes from Lowes, HD, and Sherwin and have had some I thought were a little screwy.

I will have to pay more attention and mark which ones come from where.

As far as cleaning a brush. I get the best results with a wire brush, actually the ones I have are wire bristles on one side and metal spikes on the other and work excellent.

Thanks for the heads up on the brushes. I will definitely pay more attention now.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #11

Purdy Brushes

Slickshift-

Is there anything on a visual inspection that would tell you where a Purdy was sourced (objective), or do you have to use it in order to determine that it's "B-grade" (subjective)?

Guessing that the Big Box stores move more brushes than Bob's Paint and Draperies, one would surmise that the majority of Purdy output is "de-spec'ed" which I somehow doubt.

What exactly is an off-tolerance 'de-spec'ed' brush? Bristle count? Length? End polishing?

What about the challenges for the shipping department of Purdy who must decide on what retaillers get what product grade? What would that be based on; store count or the name of the stores?

I don't wish to diminish your experience which exceeds mine by a huge ratio, but I'm of the curious type. I've also contacted Purdy for further information.

Respectfully submitted-
Old 05-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Purdy Brushes

I'm not sure I can answer your questions, the answers can vary greatly
And the ones I can, I'm sure the answers are boring
But here are the stories;

As for how I found out, Purdy did not tell me, I bought one
I needed a new one for a Monday AM (before the Paint Stores open) job, and HD was the only place open Sunday Night
(truthfully I would much rather support a small business, as I am one)
Admittedly, on the rack, I didn't notice a difference off-hand, and purchased what I though to be my usual Purdy choice
The next day I noticed it upon use
It was not terrible, but I immediately noticed it seemed more like the lesser line
It wasn't, but it was not like the better one either
(there are literally dozens of lines)
Less bristle, less stiffness...
One of the crew also had an HD one, along with some Paint Store ones
He said he noticed the same thing
We lined them up
Side by side it was rather obvious
Since this I've heard the same story from many other painters

If you don't know about CPV, and how manufacturers can ship different quality products to different retailers, I'm not sure I can answer that as the process can vary...and would take to long...and this would not be the appropriate place
I can tell you that the retailers with huge sales can demand things that smaller ones can't
Look up Wal*Mart and the Hienz Pickle debacle
It's no secret
The factories do "runs" for different products
If a retailer has enough demand to warrant a "run", and enough clout to force it (or do enough convincing...some manufacturers are very open to this), they can get it
Most biggies like HD/L/W*M get tractor trailer loads to their distribution points, not drop shipped cases to the individual stores
It's not nearly as difficult as one might think

Open up a can of W*M Planter's Mixed Nuts (or peanuts)
Open up a can of Grocery Store Mixed nuts (or peanuts)
You will find nuts that were rejected out of the general Grocery/SuperMarket batches in the W*M can
More deaders, blackies, broken ones...
Again, it's CPV
W*M says their target customer won't care, they'd rather have the cheap nuts

As for HD selling more brushes than Bob's, you'd be surprised how many paint brushes 20 thousand small stores can sell
Especial considering that most Painting Pros buy their paint at them
(most do not shop at HD)
Then consider the fact that in one month, most painters will paint more sq. ft. than the most avid DIYer will in their lifetime...and the brush use and replacement that goes along with that...

Anyway, theres more but we've gone on too much hijacking this thread
I hope this at least helps you get an idea of what you were looking for
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Paintdoctor

Purdy Brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
The Purdy's at Home Depot are de-spec'd (yes, I and other painters have checked them out)
This alone could account for your issue

But just in case...

How many times have you used it?
What did you use it for?
What did you clean it with?

Slickshift is wrong. The brushes we build are the same. It doesn't matter who the customer is. The brush does not know where it's going until it gets to the shipping department. All of our brush seconds go to Habitat for Humanity, Christmas in April, Mercy Corp, Gifts in Kind, etc.

What probably happened with Slickshift is he's probably used to using a Glide and got a Dale. The Dale and Glide are both angular sash tools but the Glide is substantially larger.

Pawl, we don't recommend wire brushes because we have a proprietary process called flagging that no one else in the industry know how to do. We put little split ends on each filament. Using a wire brush will knock them off. If you want to use a wire brush, switch to a Chinex brush. Even if you knock the flag off, Chinex will self flag.

The keeper is part of the tool. Handyman Jim is right. Spin the brush in your hands, not with a spinner and hang from a hook. You can put it in the keeper right away as long as the excess moisture has been spun out.

Please feel free to contact me at:

bruces@purdycorp.com

I am the Enduser Marketing Manager and Training Coordinator for Purdy. I used to be production manager and was a professional painter for 12 years prior to working at Purdy. I served a formal apprenticeship attending the Wasburn Trade School in Chicago.

The brushes are the same, no B grade.
paintdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Purdy Brushes

Welcome to the site, doctor...we appreciate the inside scoop
(even if it means I am wrong...lol)
The brushes the other painters and I were having issues with certainly felt like Dales (which none of us use regularly)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #15

Purdy Brushes

Slik, the info on lot runs was new to me, tho' I was aware of pricing and payment muscle used by the large retailers. My best guess on your bad experience was you and your guys just happened upon that tiny % that slipped through QA. Maybe Monday production like cars <LOL>

(I just bought a refill of 'Invisible Glass' by Stoner Products which has been my preferred glass cleaner. This batch was nothing more than dog water with food dye added; can't clean snot.)

With zero involvement w/ the Purdy Company in any way, shape, or form, I just want an American company producing quality products to get a bit of a fair shake.

Thankfully, we still have American paint manufacturers to argue about and support. IMO, the thought of made in china paint doesn't give good feelings.