Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #1

Share |

Protective Coat Over Paint

Hey guys,
New member here looking for advice on how to protect an art project.

I just made some signs for a business doing graffiti spray paint art. I made 'wood canvases' (built a frame, added cover ply, wood filled cracks, sanded clean, latex paint primed) & then I did the spray paint mural....

they came out amazing and I wanted to put a "crystal clear" protective coat on top of them- Thinking a matte or semi gloss finish...

what should I use that wont warp or effect the spray paint (art), will do a great job protecting and wont yellow over time?

they will be hung up inside and (very) occasionally taken outside for photographs. I would like these to last a decade atleast

I was thinking water based poly, but unsure if there are better options?

-------

also, just finished making a mini outdoor shower out of scrap wood i refinished and looks great... the floor is cedar planks over a super heavy duty pressure treated 2x6 frame with many jousts. (i know cedar is a terrible wood choice but it was all free). I would also like to put a highly protective coat on these as cedar is such a soft wood that scratches under the pressure of a finger nail...
the outdoor shower wont ever be in direct sunlight. I would like it to be a very durable finish that will prevent scratches on the fickle wood & not be affected by the water from the shower...

what do you guys recommend?

Thank You all very much in advance
- Johnny

johnnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Help???

anyone...??

hahahaha if i post a pic of them will it get a response from somebody (with knowledge of what i should use) ??

ahha, thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Protective Coat Over Paint-vrc2.jpg  

johnnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Well, you are looking for an acrylic clear coat, and there are a few to choose from.
BM makes stays clear- which I think is kind of thick but some extender might help.
How are you applying- brush or spray?
Most dry really quick and can be hard to handle because of that.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As BJ says or hit an art supply store for a myriad of clear finishes---for a price. There are special mural coatings---ironically with anti-grafiti properties---too if this is something that is going to need to be washed as in a restaurant or bar environment. Soluvar, if I remember the spelling correctly, is a nice product from Liquitex.

As for cedar being a bad choice? Why? If a decent grade, cedar makes great decking. Be careful with the clear sealer you pick especially if you are going to be hitting it with water constantly. Seach this site for many posts on best choices and recommendations. Sherwin-Williams and Sikkens products come to mind. Not sure what is left of Cabot quality wise. Olympic stains became a disappointment.

Whatever you do, stay away from wax based products like Thompson's. And be mindful if it is a shower floor you could create a slip hazard with the wrong product too.

By the way, need to be patient with us at times. 12:44AM posts may not get you hundreds of posts and we do have to scurry around doing things most days.

Last edited by user1007; 04-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote