Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

protecting spray paint on laminate furniture

I have laminate chests that I use as salon stations. I wanted to paint them to be antiqued silver. I cleaned and dried the laminate, primed with multiple coats of Zinsser High Hide Cover-Stain Alkyd primer, I did not sand as the primer claims no sanding is necessary. I then painted them with a few thin coats of Valspar Metallic Spray Paint. Next, I started to dry brush Valspar antiquing glaze over the top. I am about 5 drawers in and am worried this is not going to work. Before antiquing I rubbed a paper towel lightly over the metallic spray paint to remove any dust, and silver was easily left on the paper towel. I went ahead and antiqued anyway, but it seems very easily scratched. I need this surface to be very durable since it is a working salon station that will have tools set on it, wet towels thrown on it, clients purses, checks written, etc.
Would a clear coat spray do the trick? Polyurethane? Have I already destroyed my stations?

anderson.beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #2

Beth, in many cases it takes a number of days for any finish to cure. Bonding is a function of curing. I would give them a couple of days, as many as you can, of protected status before you expose them to day in day out abuse. It should be fine.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
anderson.beth (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

jsheridan is right...give them time.After they have had time to cure then you can spray them with a protective clear coat if you want.It would probably help.You can get the clear in a satin finish sounds like that would look best on what you have.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Beth, if you feel that the silver and antiquing might benefit from a clear coat, go ahead. But it will not do anything to address your initial question. Nothing will enhance the bond of the cover stain at this point. The clear will adhere to the silver, which is adhered to the cover stain, which may or may not be adhered to the laminate. One bang and it all goes, down to the laminate. But, as I said, I expect the cover stain to do its job, just give it the time to do it.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote