Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

Protecting backside of sheetrock from mold/mildew: Viable?

Hi everyone!

First-time poster, long time reader.

Here's my situation: The prior owner of my house had a long-running issue with mold and mildew in the basement, to the point where they had to strip down the drywall to the studs right before they moved out.

I'm currently working on finishing the basement, and I'm looking to pull out all the stops to prevent mold/mildew growth on my new walls. (I've taken many other steps in other areas, but I'll limit this post to discussing paint.)

In addition to using a mold/mildew resistant paint, I was wondering if it would make sense to cover the back side of the drywall as well, since I have the opportunity now. If so, what's an inexpensive and viable way to go about it? Should I just buy the cheapest paint I can find and mix in some mildewcide?

Thanks!

RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If you're worried there might be that much moisture back there, won't the studs still have mildew problems, regardless what you do to the sheetrock?

steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

I suppose; for some reason I've been under the impression that mold can pull more nutrients out of sheetrock than wood

I also should've specified my layout: None of the stud walls in the 'finishing' area of my basement are by the foundation; they are all just framed out 'freestanding' rooms with a CB wall in each. (Said CB walls have gotten a coat of Aqua Lock.) So, yeah, I guess my inquiry encompasses studs as well.

So, to retool my question: Is it unheard of to cover entire pieces of sheetrock and/or studs in a mildew-resistant paint for a basement finishing job?

Mainly I'm just looking for any additional anti mold/mildew measures I can take from a paint standpoint, before I start building up, covering up and painting. In part because of the previous owner's plight, but mainly because I've had some wicked allergic reactions to mold in prior homes and have declared war on the stuff.

Last edited by RedHelix; 09-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

There is a whole lot of conversation with regards to this topic in this sites search engine. So many that I am sure your particular situation is in there some where...................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

mmm...i probably would have considered tar papering the studs before i installed the drywall. still, i'm just not a fan of any drywall in moisture rich environments. i go straight to hardi and tile.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Chicago, IL

If these are interior walls, and you are concerned about occasional elevated moisture conditions, consider using one of the mold-resistent panelized products that rates 8-10 under ASTM D3273, such as DensArmor Plus or FiberRoc AquaTough.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 822

or use cement board. those are waterproof as used in bathrooms
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cement board is not waterproof
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 822

they are almost waterproof?

federer is offline   Reply With Quote