Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

ProMar400 as base coat, then Ben Moore?

My contractor has provided SW ProMar 400 for the partial painting work they will be doing. I will be finishing the room(s) other three walls. I would not normally use ProMar. Will it be okay if I use the ktr provided ProMar as the base coat (significant color change) then recoat with a high quality Benjamin Moore? I'm hoping for a professional opinion based on paint chemistry - and yes, I know I should put this on the Pro site, but I'm trying to play by the rules.

I know we all have preferences. Just want to know if the answer is "Hell no! Are you crazy?"

I used to be a ktr myself many years ago, so I know how to lay down paint, if that is an issue. But low VOCs are somewhat new to me.

Thanks!

Maureen

Maureen23669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

What is a KTR? And why would you need to put this on the pro site? There are a dozen pros here, yours truly included, lol. First of all, I'm not sure I understand what type of situation you have going on there. Secondly, Pro Mar what? Ben Moore what? What type of finishes are we talking about here?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, and good news about professionals being on this site. Ktr is just government-ese for contractor.

Both the ProMar and Ben Moore will be interior latex flat paints on bedroom and living room walls. I'm covering existing white paint(s) with blues and green. Is there any need to match paint brands on different layers of the same wall, as long as I'm sticking with latex flat? What I'd like to do is use the ProMar 400 (already bought and paid for) on the undercoat, then (hopefully) get full coverage with one coat of high quality Benjamin Moore (haven't decided which product).

I'm assuming that all interior latex flat paints will be compatible. Just looking for a nod or a scream. I'm new to low VOC/no VOC, other than just slapping it on. In the very beginning of low VOC, not all paints stuck as well as hoped. I haven't followed the chemistry since then. I hope I'm over-thinking this.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Is this ProMar a color, a blue or green? If it's not I can't see any reason to use it. You shouldn't have any problem with BM Genex tints in blues or greens covering over white in two coats. If the SW is a color, and you want to burn it out, I can't see why a flat over flat would be a problem. As long as the walls are a uniform coating (all four walls with the same first coat) prior to any app of the BM, I can't see a reason why that would be a problem. I'm a purist though. I believe that each brand, and each line in that brand, has its own qualities and I believe it takes two full coats to achieve those qualities. Therefore, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a base coat of SW Promar and only one coat of a premium BM finish, but that's me. I won't say you're "crazy" to do it though, and I don't think it would cause any problems. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Is this ProMar a color, a blue or green? If it's not I can't see any reason to use it. You shouldn't have any problem with BM Genex tints in blues or greens covering over white in two coats. If the SW is a color, and you want to burn it out, I can't see why a flat over flat would be a problem. As long as the walls are a uniform coating (all four walls with the same first coat) prior to any app of the BM, I can't see a reason why that would be a problem. I'm a purist though. I believe that each brand, and each line in that brand, has its own qualities and I believe it takes two full coats to achieve those qualities. Therefore, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a base coat of SW Promar and only one coat of a premium BM finish, but that's me. I won't say you're "crazy" to do it though, and I don't think it would cause any problems. Hope that makes sense.
I'm not sure JS but I think she is asking can she use the ProMar as a primer.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Maureen23669 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I'm not sure JS but I think she is asking can she use the ProMar as a primer.

I think so too and the answer would be yes.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Maureen23669 (01-14-2013), ToolSeeker (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Thanks, guys! There will be a real primer coat (white) on the new walls, before the one coat of SW and then a final coat of Benjamin Moore. I'm moving forward!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #8

I don't understand why you are using the promar 400. Just paint two coats of either SW or BM and call it a day. Why mix the two?
justinramani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justinramani For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

I'm with Justin on this one. Why 2 different paint brands? Why not topcoat with SW? Although your plan is ok, sometimes there can be issues with the sheen of the paint. SW's satin might be shinier than a BM satin making it more difficult to cover the Promar 400. I would test this out in a closet just to be sure it's going to work.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

Gym, I'm still a little confused about the whole situation, but there's a painter on the job who bought extra paint that she wants to burn through, the Promar. She wants to finish with BM. The walls are primed. She wants to apply the rest of the Promar to the walls the painter didn't do to have a full base coat, then apply one coat of BM as a the top coat. It's all flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen23669 View Post
Is there any need to match paint brands on different layers of the same wall, as long as I'm sticking with latex flat?
No, of course not. I'm kind of wondering why you feel the need to go over it with BM. If the ProMar needs a second coat, it would be more cost effective than buying a high end BM for the second coat. Unless you're using Aura, that's another matter. But then that's not really flat.

Just put the second coat of ProMar on top of the ProMar. Unless you have some specific reason... that I don't see in your first post. Perhaps a very specific color that you think only BM can do. SW has the BM paint colors so you can get whatever color you want anyway.

Last edited by jeffnc; 01-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #12

Are you all in agreement that ProMar 400 is a good quality paint? On other sites painters don't like it. But I'm still wide open to suggestions.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 38

Most of what you read about almost anything in the world is exaggeration. ProMar 400 isn't as good as SuperPaint. It's a little better than ProMar 700, not quite as good as 200.

But also keep in mind, they change the chemistry on these things all the time, and also the price points and marketing. What you read 6 months ago could be out of date. What you read today could be someone's opinion on something they used 3 years ago.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

Promar 200 is a fine paint but I wan't too impressed with Promar 400.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

personally- I almost never use flat on walls. Matte is my standard- and BM makes the bestest.
But if your going to use flat- just keep on with what you already have. All flats are dirt sponges in my mind..

Gymschu (01-16-2013)