Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Product/Procedure advice for a fence/deck

Hubs and I are moving overseas in a few months for several years. During that time we plan on renting out our house. As such, we are refinishing and re-staining our fence and our deck.

A previous owner had painted our fence this ridiculous red color. Hubs is currently pressure-washing the fence and trying to get it prepped. Do you think that pressure washing it this weekend and letting it swelter under the South Carolina sun for a week is enough prep work? Any other suggestions? Do we have to use a cleaner?
It's an old fence--at least 10 years old. It has apparently only been stained this red color one time and that was at LEAST 6 years ago. (A hail storm tried to help us strip the color about 4 years ago but it kind of only half did the job...)

We also stained our 2-year-old pine pressure-treated deck a normal-people color 2 years ago. We have some splitting and "peeling" going on, so it definitely needs some maintenance. Best way of prepping this? Light pressure washing and some sanding? Cleaners?

What's your suggestion for a color/product that'll cover the red fence and the lighter brownish-gold deck so they'll look the same? I'm looking at Sherwin Williams' Solid Color Deck Stain in possibly a neutral darker brown.

Furthermore, I'm not looking for a no-fail solution but since we'll be overseas we need something that will withstand Southern summers and at least 3-4 years. Is that Sherwin William product (or any other suggestion) a viable option for us?

I'm most concerned about the product standing the test of time and less worried about aesthetics. Thanks!

packerfanmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Product/Procedure advice for a fence/deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfanmag View Post
Hubs and I are moving overseas in a few months for several years. During that time we plan on renting out our house. As such, we are refinishing and re-staining our fence and our deck.

A previous owner had painted our fence this ridiculous red color. Hubs is currently pressure-washing the fence and trying to get it prepped. Do you think that pressure washing it this weekend and letting it swelter under the South Carolina sun for a week is enough prep work? Any other suggestions? Do we have to use a cleaner?
You should be using a cleaner to dislodge surface contaminants. SW sells product you can apply prior to pressure washing. I"m guessing that some cleaners have additives that will etch the surface, eliminating sanding. Ask at the paint store, not the big box.

It's an old fence--at least 10 years old. It has apparently only been stained this red color one time and that was at LEAST 6 years ago. (A hail storm tried to help us strip the color about 4 years ago but it kind of only half did the job...)

We also stained our 2-year-old pine pressure-treated deck a normal-people color 2 years ago. We have some splitting and "peeling" going on, so it definitely needs some maintenance. Best way of prepping this? Light pressure washing and some sanding? Cleaners?
Do the same cleaning procedure as the fence. Apply your stain. I would do two coats for max protection. However, decks and fences are different animals, max time for maintenance/recoating for decks is 2-3 years. You may have to have it redone prior to your return if you plan to return to that residence and not have a mess on your hands, which after 3-4 years of renting, the deck may be the least of your concerns.

What's your suggestion for a color/product that'll cover the red fence and the lighter brownish-gold deck so they'll look the same? I'm looking at Sherwin Williams' Solid Color Deck Stain in possibly a neutral darker brown.
That's a tough call. But, a darker brown should cover easily over a dark red in one coat. No guarantees.

Furthermore, I'm not looking for a no-fail solution but since we'll be overseas we need something that will withstand Southern summers and at least 3-4 years. Is that Sherwin William product (or any other suggestion) a viable option for us?
Already answered.

I'm most concerned about the product standing the test of time and less worried about aesthetics. Thanks!
Hope this helped.
Joe

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote