Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Problems Painting Louvered Closet Doors

Please advise. Here's what I've found putting the first coat on of the new color.

I washed with soap & water, and let the doors dry over night. I then spot sanded with 150 grit and sprayed Zinsser "Cover Stain" over the existing coat because it looked like the previous coat was oil-based and had bled through in several places. And then I applied my latex paint over an hour later.

1) The paint (latex) did not remain intact as a coating and cover all areas. These areas look like they have little "rivers" running through them. Could it be a cleaner that had been used on these doors before? Or moisture I didn't see/feel?

I think I need to sand with 220 grit (and maybe re-prime?) Does that sound right?

2) The lower edge of the louvers on one door have sticky droplets at various points along the lower edge. What is this stuff? I primed these louvers thinking that would seal in any ancient problems.

The sticky-gummy drops clog up the sand paper immediately. SO maybe wash with a grease-be-gone cleaner (e.g., GOOF Off? or orange oil?). and then sand?

I am becoming discouraged. This is the 1st set of doors and I have 3 more to get done.

Last edited by 1655graff; 09-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
NAV

the primer should have worked well to seal up the nasty that may have been on the doors.

what are you using for the top coat? brand, sheen, etc.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Valspar Kitchen and Bath (K&B). Do you think the paint is bad?

The walls in the bedroom were painted with a Valspar color so I asked the Lowes paint-stand employee which paint to use in the painting the wood closet doors and he recommended K&B.
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
NAV

Hmm, not sure. i am not a fan of Valspar but its better than Bear.

sounds like there were contaminants on the doors before you painted. all you can really do now is sand and repaint. good luck

Clean, Dull & Dry is how you want the substrate for painting
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #5

Ugg. The kitchen and bath paint is not the way to go. Nor is Valspar for that matter. The Kitchen and Bath paints will tend to go on thin so it penetrates, which is why they can claimit self-primes (UGH) so it will tend to not cover as well. I would have let the oil based primer dry overnight. That may have been what the gummy spots were. Louvers are tought to paint and even tougher to not leave brush marks. I think if you let them dry a few days, lightly sand and then give it another coat you will be fine. If you can take them down and lay them flat for painting, that will help the paint lay down and not leave so many brush marks.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

[
Hmm, not sure. i am not a fan of Valspar but its better than Bear.

Not much
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote