Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

Problems With Mildew on the Exterior of my House

My house is only 2.5 years old, and I have bee having trouble with mildew before we even moved in. The fascia and freeze boards are 1x4 Hardie material. Each of those have 1x2 pre-primed tongue and groove wood strips at the top. The painter claims to have put an additional coat of primer plus two topcoats on all exterior trim, yet, within 4 months, the 1x2 wood pieces started to mildew. I sprayed everything with a bleach/mildew killer/water mixture, and it all looked nice and pretty for a while. I even painted a couple test areas with some mildew resistant paint. Over the winter, it started back again. The test areas aren't as bad, but still don't seem to be the answer.

What should I do? It's quite an eyesore.

Do I need to use a good exterior paint plus a heavy dose of a separate mildew resistant additive?

Do I need to just remove all the pieces and replace with a different product?
37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #2

What sheen paint are you using?
The higher the gloss the less the mold has to cling to.
Over hanging trees or shrubs up againt the house?
Cut them back.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

It was a satin finish.

There is no vegetation against the house. The mildew is pretty uniform all around the house- high/low, sun/shade. Those same boards were even used under the porches, and are having the same issues.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ford View Post
My house is only 2.5 years old, and I have bee having trouble with mildew before we even moved in.
One possibility is that the mildew spores were on the surface before your place was painted (this might not have been evident to the painter). if this is the case, then the mildew is actually coming up from below the paint film, rather than growing on top of it.

You will have to determine whether or not this is the case before you can move on to a solution.
clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clambake6 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-10-2013), joecaption (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

If the spores were painted over, does this mean they are junk and need to be replaced?

How do I determine that? It definitely looks like it's bleeding through, as the mildew growth takes the shape of the wood grain beneath. The boards consist of many finger jointed pieces, and you can see a change in severity from one piece to the next.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Finger jointed and Hardee does not compute.
Got a picture?
Only time I've seen finger jointing done is on paint grade pine trim.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Finger joint shouldn't be used exterior. If the mildew was painted over and is coming up through the finish, and it can, you would not be able to get rid of it. After cleaning the finish will still have a blackened haze. You can only kill the mildew on the surface, not what is encapsulated, growing, in the paint. I see this from time to time power washing, mildew that you can't remove. If the finish looks perfect after washing, that's not your problem. Do any of your neighbors have a serious mildew problem on their house or roof? Do you live down/up wind from them? They could be infecting you. It propagates by ejecting spores that get carried in the breeze to their new home, or yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
The painter claims to have put an additional coat of primer plus two topcoats on all exterior trim, yet, within 4 months, the 1x2 wood pieces started to mildew.
Is the mildew strictly confined ONLY to the 1x2 pieces?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #9

Mildew is very persistent. If you have any sort of shade combined with dampness, mildew is gonna grow. Blame should not always fall on the painter. Hopefully, he cleaned it in a professional manner and did not just paint over it. Make sure you trim back any tree limbs or bushes to allow air to flow and maybe even a little sunlight to hit your house where this mildew is. I live in the Midwest and some sides of houses never see any sun except in the summer months and those are the sides where mildew thrives.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey 37ford,

I'd be very interested to know what manufacture's product the painter used. What company and what product? If you can get me that it might make the answer a little easier.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
clambake6 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

Last question from me (I know, promises, promises...): How pronounced is the grain texture on the 1x2 compared to the fascia and frieze boards? Pretty much the same, or is the 1x2 a deeper, tighter grain?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambake6 View Post
Is the mildew strictly confined ONLY to the 1x2 pieces?
Yes. Everything else is fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Hey 37ford,

I'd be very interested to know what manufacture's product the painter used. What company and what product? If you can get me that it might make the answer a little easier.
It was Porter brand satin mildew resistant latex. What makes me suspicious is that the painters never left behind any empty paint buckets, not even in my readily available garbage bins. So, I didn't know if they used 10 gallons or 2. On the last day, they left one pail without about a quart in it.

Concerning the grain, it's not pronounced. It's a smooth, slick finish. You can just see the grain bleeding though. I'm going to posts pics.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
What makes me suspicious is that the painters never left behind any empty paint buckets, not even in my readily available garbage bins...On the last day, they left one pail without about a quart in it.
No need to get too suspicious about the lack of empty paint cans; the best outfits clean up and haul their own trash (including paint cans) unless there is a dumpster on the job, or the customer requests to see the cans, or tells the painters they can specifically use their garbage cans.

As for the quart left for you; that's a reasonable amount to leave for touch-up, without burdening you with too much to store. The label allows you to identify the product if you should need more later, and a quart of material leaves the paint store with enough to play around with if what they are trying to match is a non-stock color.

Quote:
I'm going to posts pics.
That would probably help, at this point. Make at least one a closeup, if possible.

BTW, have you asked your local paint rep what he thinks the issue is?

Last edited by clambake6; 04-10-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: My sentence structure was atrocious...
Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

I cannot believe nobody has asked yet
Where you at????

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote