Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Problem with paint not sticking?

Hi DiY forum people! I am brand new here but I am a member of a few forums so I know how to at least work the site.

I am a new DiY'er from Northern California. My hubby and I bought an older home and are doing a lot of renovations.

One of the first rooms we tackled is one of the bathrooms. There was a lot of water damage (forclosure) so we took out the old tile, the bottom half of the drywall and all of the fixtures. The subflooring was in good shape so we didn't do anything there. We retiled and put new drywall on the bottom half and then decided to texture the walls (regular mud, orange peel layer) as they were VERY smooth to start. All that stuff went great. I am now a tile cutter extraordinaire!

So... the problem...
Now we are getting the painting done. We started putting a coat of latex primer (water based) on and it seems to not be "sticking". My hubby was using the roller and when he did the corners with the brush, the primer seemed to come up a bit.

So the question is, is there a different type of primer we should be using (we are currently using Killz) to make a nice base over the texture? Is this a problem because we didn't remove the top half of the drywall and thus have very smooth paint under the texture?

Help me DiYer!!

workingk9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,216

Kilz sticks to just about anything, so, unless it's a high gloss surface you are covering, it should stick! If you have a high gloss surface you will have to sand it and then prime it. Maybe use the oil base KILZ if you continue to have problems.......it comes in an odorless formula......I've never seen it NOT WORK on a surface of any kind.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
workingk9s (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

1. im not familiar with the kilz you used ,and not seeing the surface you were priming on i cant say for sure,but here goes.today's latex primer sealers dry so fast and depending on the temperature and drying conditions i have seen these primers pick up freshly brushed cut and rolled primer .here's what you do you must keep a wet edge ,in other words cut in a 3 foot ceiling cut the load up roller and roll your wall up down a few times make sure its covered . then move on do not over roll and dont go back over . dont rush dry times and you will be all right
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
workingk9s (05-09-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I think I know exactly what happened. You rolled it to the corners, then it slightly dried. Then when you go over it with the brush it pulls the slightly dried primer away from the fresh texture. Remedy? Simply prime those areas again after it's fully dry. Now, I'm assuming the corner areas where you over lapped after it dried some is your only problem area. If the texture is pulling off the walls where you textured over the old existing walls, it's because they needed to be primed before texture went on them. Hope this helps.
Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanchek For This Useful Post:
workingk9s (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchek View Post
I think I know exactly what happened. You rolled it to the corners, then it slightly dried. Then when you go over it with the brush it pulls the slightly dried primer away from the fresh texture. Remedy? Simply prime those areas again after it's fully dry. Now, I'm assuming the corner areas where you over lapped after it dried some is your only problem area. If the texture is pulling off the walls where you textured over the old existing walls, it's because they needed to be primed before texture went on them. Hope this helps.
Lol, that is EXACTLY what happened. Thanks!! So, there is one small spot where the texture is pulling off. About a 4 in spot. The rest of the walls the primer went on fine. Can I just spray texture over that one spot and reprimer? I would be really depressed if I had to redo the whole thing.
workingk9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

You should be just fine texturing and priming that spot. You may want to prime, let it dry, texture, them prime that spot. It won't take that long.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote