Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Question

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


I am finishing my basement and now I am ready to prim the drywall and would like to know what is the top rated primer on the market today?

This is new 5/8 inch NEW DRYWALL.

Also would you want to seal the drywall?

Remember one thing I have 2 inch foam board on the cerement block walls and than I put up a 2" X 4" wall and put another 2 inches of foam board in that. So would it be OK to seal the drywall and prim it at the same time?

I have been told that you do not want to seal the exterior walls of the basement can you explain way?

Also since I have two walls of 2 inch foam foam with a 1/2 inch between the foam will this make a difference if you seal the drywall?

I have been told that Glenden is the lowest priced primer on the market and is sticky when put on, is this right? An also harder to put on, is this right?

Would you want to put two coats of primer on the drywall?

I am going to use BEHR paint. Is there any paint better than BEHR paint?

Would you want to put two coats of paint on the walls?

What is the top rated paint on the market today?

I want to do this job right the first time and be done with it.

Do you have any suggestion for me on how to prim and paint the walls?

nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,311
Rewards Points: 626
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I am finishing my basement and now I am ready to prim the drywall and would like to know what is the top rated primer on the market today?

This is new 5/8 inch NEW DRYWALL.

Also would you want to seal the drywall?

Remember one thing I have 2 inch foam board on the cerement block walls and than I put up a 2" X 4" wall and put another 2 inches of foam board in that. So would it be OK to seal the drywall and prim it at the same time?

I have been told that you do not want to seal the exterior walls of the basement can you explain way?

Also since I have two walls of 2 inch foam foam with a 1/2 inch between the foam will this make a difference if you seal the drywall?

I have been told that Glenden is the lowest priced primer on the market and is sticky when put on, is this right? An also harder to put on, is this right?

Would you want to put two coats of primer on the drywall?

I am going to use BEHR paint. Is there any paint better than BEHR paint?

Would you want to put two coats of paint on the walls?

What is the top rated paint on the market today?

I want to do this job right the first time and be done with it.

Do you have any suggestion for me on how to prim and paint the walls?
Well Do to the fact your location is not listed. I will give generic advise.
first off stay away from PVA primers.
here are the paint companies I would use list in the order of highest prices to lowest with still the best quality one can find.
1.Sherwin Williams Paint AKA SWP
2. Benjamin Moore AKA BM
3. Kelly-Moore ALA KM
4. Rodda Paints
5. Parker Paints
6. Pratt & Lambert paints
I gave you paints that I have used that are of very high quality. I live in the Pacific North west. So I gave you the national brands and the regional brands. I feel that the regional brands make a far better paint then SWP or BM Pratt & Lambert is made by SWP and is half the price. Behr and Glidden are the low end of quality.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Well Do to the fact your location is not listed. I will give generic advise.
first off stay away from PVA primers.
here are the paint companies I would use list in the order of highest prices to lowest with still the best quality one can find.
1.Sherwin Williams Paint AKA SWP
2. Benjamin Moore AKA BM
3. Kelly-Moore ALA KM
4. Rodda Paints
5. Parker Paints
6. Pratt & Lambert paints
I gave you paints that I have used that are of very high quality. I live in the Pacific North west. So I gave you the national brands and the regional brands. I feel that the regional brands make a far better paint then SWP or BM Pratt & Lambert is made by SWP and is half the price. Behr and Glidden are the low end of quality.
How does Benjamin Moore paint compare Pittsburgh paint?

I have never used Benjamin Moore paint, but have friends that have and they really love it.

I don't like Sherwin Wllams paint because when washed it will come off.

I live in Ohio.
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 683
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


i've used benny moore paints and pittsburgh paint. i've found pittsburgh paint to be alot cheaper price, its a good quality paint but i find the moore a better quality paint with better coverage. keeping price in mind i'd have to go with the pittsburgh cause its not that bad of a paint at a really good price.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


What is PVA primer?

Why do you say stay away from PVA primer?

Explain this in detail.

I don't know aything about primers. And I want to put the best primer on the new drywall. You start out right and you won't have any problems down the road.
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Member
 
BraniksPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 124
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
How does Benjamin Moore paint compare Pittsburgh paint?

I have never used Benjamin Moore paint, but have friends that have and they really love it.

I don't like Sherwin Wllams paint because when washed it will come off.

I live in Ohio.
Not exactly sure why your SW paint washed off but it was obviously a failure to prep the surface the right way in the first place or the wrong product was used for your application. Paint doesn't just wash off!

But, moving right along. Both PPG & Ben Moore have a good paint. You can't go wrong with PPG's Manor Hall. I haven't used Ben Moore in ages but their Aura line is top of the line. I personally liked their Regal line or Impervo.

PVA = (polyvinyl acetate)! Basically they put a resin into the primer. Resins don't mix well when top coated by a latex paint. It's like throwing some paint on a piece of plastic.

Use Zinnser 123 primer or Sherwin Williams multi-purpose drywall primer. I'd go with the Zinnser if you don't like SW.

Here is an excellent read on primers. Fair warning, don't use the Behr product. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021161060.pdf

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 02-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraniksPainting For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 3,000
Rewards Points: 2,236
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


SW Drywall Primer......one coat. Two coats of SW SuperPaint Satin......DONE. It will NOT wash off your wall. I've done this for 33 years with SW SuperPaint & it has NEVER, EVER washed off any wall I ever painted. You may want to review your technique before proceeding.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I am finishing my basement and now I am ready to prim the drywall and would like to know what is the top rated primer on the market today?

This is new 5/8 inch NEW DRYWALL.

Also would you want to seal the drywall?

Remember one thing I have 2 inch foam board on the cerement block walls and than I put up a 2" X 4" wall and put another 2 inches of foam board in that. So would it be OK to seal the drywall and prim it at the same time?

I have been told that you do not want to seal the exterior walls of the basement can you explain way?

Also since I have two walls of 2 inch foam foam with a 1/2 inch between the foam will this make a difference if you seal the drywall?

I have been told that Glenden is the lowest priced primer on the market and is sticky when put on, is this right? An also harder to put on, is this right?

Would you want to put two coats of primer on the drywall?

I am going to use BEHR paint. Is there any paint better than BEHR paint?

Would you want to put two coats of paint on the walls?

What is the top rated paint on the market today?

I want to do this job right the first time and be done with it.

Do you have any suggestion for me on how to prim and paint the walls?
Hey John...

OK, so here's your primer on primers. All bare drywall needs to be primed - It doesn't matter if it's an exterior wall or not - all bare drywall needs to be primed...I think you'll find that no one here is gonna support your decision to use Behr Paint as a finish (and besides, Behr Paint is considered a Paint & Primer in one, right?)...So much for "best" rated paints. You're gonna get some good advice here regarding different paint lines, and truthfully, each company has decent products that'll perform fine in your particular application.

You live in Ohio so you have access to all the nationals such as Sherwin, PPG, Ben Moore, Glidden and then a whole slew of regionals such as Harrison, Graham, Muralo, California, etc. Talk to your local Independent Paint Dealer for his or her recommendation on primers and finishes - and kinda stay away from the big boxes.

As far as primers go, every manufacturer listed in this post has a PVA primer they recommend for bare drywall - they work fine. They are generally a reasonably priced, moderately high build primer that does a good job sealing the porosity of drywall and they have good hold-out for quality finishes. All latex products (acrylics, vinyls, PVA and any number of blends) are forms of plastic resin. PVA's are compatible with all conventional topcoats (not hot-solvent topcoats, but you're not gonna use those in your basement anyway).

Solid acrylics and vinyl/acrylics are more expensive, may have slightly better hold-out for sheened products and will also seal the porosity of drywall. They are generally considered to be "multi-purpose" and "multi-surface" bonding type primers while PVA's are pretty much limited to drywall.

For the choice of finish products - listen to quality professionals and talk to paint store personnel. When you hear the logic of a proper system recommendation, you may understand how a product rating by some self-proclaimed experts at a consumer rating organization is pretty much irrelevant.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


I talked to Benjamin Moore wants $21.00 a gal and Sherwin-Williams wants $15.00 a gal for primer.

What do you think?

Which one is better?



nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I talked to Benjamin Moore wants $21.00 a gal and Sherwin-Williams wants $15.00 a gal for primer.

What do you think?

Which one is better?



(sigh)...pick one.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,311
Rewards Points: 626
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I talked to Benjamin Moore wants $21.00 a gal and Sherwin-Williams wants $15.00 a gal for primer.

What do you think?

Which one is better?

Ford or Chevy? McDonald or Burger king? Take your pick. go with your wallet.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


After reading What Primer to use and where I am totally confused on what type of primer to use on my new drywall.

I did understand that I should use the same primer as to the brand of paint I am going to use.

We came down to Benjamin Moore paint with the color from BEHR.

Does Benjamin Moore make a very good primer for new drywall?

As you have stated above you do "not want to use primer that has PVA in it" does Benjamin Moore have it in it?

Would I need a sealer?

I am going with a satin paint, because it has mildew resistances in it. Do you think that it will look OK in a family room? The way I see it would be easy to keep clean.

Does anyone know how far a gallon of Benjamin Moore primer goes?

How many gallons of primer will I need to do 1100 sq. ft.?
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
After reading What Primer to use and where I am totally confused on what type of primer to use on my new drywall.

I did understand that I should use the same primer as to the brand of paint I am going to use.

We came down to Benjamin Moore paint with the color from BEHR.

Does Benjamin Moore make a very good primer for new drywall?

As you have stated above you do "not want to use primer that has PVA in it" does Benjamin Moore have it in it?

Would I need a sealer?

I am going with a satin paint, because it has mildew resistances in it. Do you think that it will look OK in a family room? The way I see it would be easy to keep clean.

Does anyone know how far a gallon of Benjamin Moore primer goes?

How many gallons of primer will I need to do 1100 sq. ft.?
John...

What'd the Ben Moore dealer tell you? You're making this way too difficult a decision. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a PVA primer, but BM has both...Do what they tell you to do and have 'em mix the color to the Behr sample.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
John...

What'd the Ben Moore dealer tell you? You're making this way too difficult a decision. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a PVA primer, but BM has both...Do what they tell you to do and have 'em mix the color to the Behr sample.

Above there was a comment that said you do not want to use PVA can you explain this?

Which is better? There has to be a reason behind this.

I am used to work with the 5 why.
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 430
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Priming & Sealing Drywall in Basement


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
Above there was a comment that said you do not want to use PVA can you explain this?

Which is better? There has to be a reason behind this.

I am used to work with the 5 why.
I did explain it in post #8...my explanation was also corroborated in the link that Branick sent you in post #6.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hanging ceiling drywall in a basement charlie bob Drywall & Plaster 5 06-21-2013 12:30 PM
Question on orientation of drywall basement faromic Drywall & Plaster 3 12-29-2011 10:27 AM
drywall and basement floor soniafel Building & Construction 3 12-27-2011 10:42 PM
Type of drywall for basement Jilltsb Drywall & Plaster 3 12-19-2011 08:04 AM
drywall a basement ceiling stogman Drywall & Plaster 3 03-17-2011 06:43 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.