Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
retired guy

Share |

priming red walls

My client wants her brown-red(deep red) dining room walls painted a neutral color, probably in the beige/tan pallette. Should I use a gray or white primer to bring the walls back to a more a more neutral color.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #2

priming red walls

use some type of stain blocking color blocking primer. your best bet imo is to head to sherwin williams and buy one of their thick color blocking primers. as for color, check out universal khaki it's a really nice neutral tan they have

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

priming red walls

I did this same thing to the house I purchased in 2009. The walls were a very dark red and I wanted to paint it a light tan.

I used Benjamin Moore primer tinted to a tan very close to the final color. 1 coat of primer and then 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Regal in an eggshell finish. It covered just fine.

You could also use a latez kilz tinted. Theres other products like zinsser 1-2-3 that is a great blocking primer but I haven't personally used it with tint.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

priming red walls

Use 1-2-3 tinted toward the color you are using. Gray primer is generally for deep colors such as reds. White might be too stark. Avoid Kilz at all cost. Only the original oil is s decent product and even that isn't great.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
(the original)

priming red walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Use 1-2-3 tinted toward the color you are using. Gray primer is generally for deep colors such as reds. White might be too stark. Avoid Kilz at all cost. Only the original oil is s decent product and even that isn't great.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

priming red walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
My client wants her brown-red(deep red) dining room walls painted a neutral color, probably in the beige/tan pallette. Should I use a gray or white primer to bring the walls back to a more a more neutral color.
You should prime your walls grey then apply two coats of your finish...
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #7

priming red walls

Hey Igneous, Covering darker colors like your red walls can be a pretty simple job if you have the proper supplies. Before you get started priming or painting you should take a look at some samples and make a decision on the color paint you would like the room to be. You will then need a high- quality, thick-bodied primer designed to block heavy stains and/or dark colors. In the past Iíve had good success with the Zinsser 1-2-3 or the Kilz Premium. Have the primer tinted at the store to the color you have chosen and it will not only help block out your deep red, but it will increase the coverage of the following topcoats.
Good luck on your project and if thereís anything else we can help you with let us know.
Jeff
HDwetPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

priming red walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDwetPaint View Post
Hey Igneous, Covering darker colors like your red walls can be a pretty simple job if you have the proper supplies. Before you get started priming or painting you should take a look at some samples and make a decision on the color paint you would like the room to be. You will then need a high- quality, thick-bodied primer designed to block heavy stains and/or dark colors. In the past Iíve had good success with the Zinsser 1-2-3 or the Kilz Premium. Have the primer tinted at the store to the color you have chosen and it will not only help block out your deep red, but it will increase the coverage of the following topcoats.
Good luck on your project and if thereís anything else we can help you with let us know.
Jeff
Just say NO to kilz
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Painting Company, NY

priming red walls

There really shouldn't be a problem painting your color choice over a read wall using a quality paint and two coats. When you need to be concerned is when you are painting red or other deep base colors over a light color. That's when you would use a grey primer a P3 or P4.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
retired guy

priming red walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
There really shouldn't be a problem painting your color choice over a read wall using a quality paint and two coats. When you need to be concerned is when you are painting red or other deep base colors over a light color. That's when you would use a grey primer a P3 or P4.
My client is leaning toward a gray top coat. The red is a flat paint. So based on your post, two coats of the SW gray she has picked will do the job?

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote