Priming, Painting And Clearcoating Silver Paint Issues - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
BCS

Rewards Points: 10

Priming, Painting and clearcoating silver paint issues

Im having two issues with painting a small piece of stainless steel.

The products that I used were Rustoleum professional primer, Rustoleum Professional high performance enamel (aluminum) and Rustoleum Crystal, clear enamel.

I first stripped all the original paint off. Then I lightly sanded the area, followed by degreaser and acetone just to be safe. The area was very clean and dry.

Next I sprayed the primer, then the aluminum enamel, followed by the clear enamel. Of course I let each coating dry before proceeding to the next step.

The first issue is that the clear enamel made the bright aluminum paint turn into a dull grey color. I've read that this is common but have not found any answers as to which aerosol clear coat is the best for silver/metallic colored paints. Any ideas?

The 2nd and biggest issue is that I am paint filling small letters in the steel a different color. However, when cleaning up the excess paint from the paint fill (with mineral spirits), all the silver paint is coming off as well? I allowed plenty of time to dry and I thought the clear enamel would prevent this from happening? Now I have to start all over again. Before I have to redo this process, can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

Am I using the wrong products? Should I be using an Acrylic paint vs. the enamel? And is the clear enamel also the wrong product?

Edit...I followed the instructions as the brands are labeled as 15 min fast dry. from the time I clear coated to the time I paint filled the letters was just shy of 24 hours in a 70 degree room. The item I am painting is about 3.5 inches long x 2 inches wide...so not many coats are necessary.

Help!

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by BCS; 12-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,670

Priming, Painting and clearcoating silver paint issues

Sherwin Williams and probably others make a DTM (direct to metal) paint I have used several times. If you have a store close may want to talk to someone there and see if this is what they suggest.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote