Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Home Remodeler Wannabe

Share |

Priming OLD plaster walls! What is the best?

Good Morning,

I am currently stripping 8 layers of wallpaper that I KNOW (my grandfathers house) goes back to 1950. The wallpaper is coming off better than I could have hoped for! My question is what to do after I have it all removed? Eventually I will be painting with Latex paint, wash with TSP, wash with clean water, prime, (what type/name primer do you suggest) and double coat. Will be using an egg shell finish. Everything said and done the walls will NOT be perfect, but I need to have at least light scrubbability. (4 and 2 year old grandsons)

Thank You

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #2

If you are about to paint a previously-wallpapered surface, just make sure the old paste is off - otherwise you'll have a rough surface that no paint or primer will hide. I gather you are not having problems removing the old paper but once you get down to the first layer, there may be paste remnants left on the wall; now fortunately, they use a cellulosic paste back then which is easily re-emulsified back to paste with soap and water. Use a stiff brush or a sponge, perhaps a scraper...

Then prime with the product you choose.

But you say 'old plaster' i.e. cement-based wall treatment that has old paint on top of it. What you would be looking for is a primer that makes the adhesion of the new paint uniform - you don't need a filler because there is already paint on there. So, given you have a smooth, clean surface to start with, scuff it up a bit with sandpaper and wash it with TSP. Then apply a good quality acrylic primer to make the subsequent layers of paint stick well, resist scuffing, are washable and 'jam-resistant'.

Like BMs "Fresh Start"...my favorite.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

After removing the wallpaper clean the walls well with tsp making sure to get any wallpaper residue off. Make any repairs necessary to the walls. Apply a good fast drying oil base primer, I usually lightly screen sand the walls after I prime with a pole sander and drywall screen, then apply 2 coats of a 100% acrylic paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Gardz will work just fine
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote