Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #1

Share |

Priming Needed For Bathrooms?

I'm ready to begin prepping two upstairs bathrooms. Each has a ventilation fans and a large drafty window. I want to use a basic white in both and have Sherwin Williams Duration paint. I'm thinking that this is ok for both walls and ceilings in the bathrooms.

I plan on scrubbing the walls and ceilings with a bleach/TSP solution and going over everything a second time with just water.

The existing paint in the master bath has no flaking or bubbling. In fact it looks like done fairly recently, maybe a year or two ago, by a pro (who had to use the yucky beige color chosen by the house's owner).

The existing paint in the guest bath has a few areas where the paint has developed very tiny cracks -- to the extent that in one 12" X 12" square the surface looks like sand. In this area paint comes off as a powder when I rub it with my finger. The paint that's underneath is solid -- no bubbles or flakes and can't get it off (it appears to be latex). I plan on sanding these areas to get rid of all the degraded paint before scrubbing/rinsing/drying.

Do I need to use a primer in either bathroom, and if so, what type should I get? I've been using Kilz in the bedrooms.

Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #2

Priming Needed For Bathrooms?

A "need" to use a primer depends more on the surface being painted than it does on what room it is good for, and as a general rule, you should 'prime' a wood, or a bare plaster surface, but 'paint' an already-painted surface (with obviously some exceptions).

But it sounds like most of you bathroom is a painted surface in good condition therefore a "paint" is called for rather than a "primer".

But if you have one chaulky area that may be a bare plaster patch or something, then prime that, and paint the rest. The primer will do what it does best on that patch: seal, and give a better surface for the follwoing coat of paint to adhere to.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote