Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Priming before painting after wallpaper removal question

My husband painted our son's wall with primer today using a roller, but said it wasn't necessary to go all the way to the edges of the wall with primer. The wall had been wallpapered previously, so the paper was removed, the wall was repaired where necessary and the wall washed. There is about a 2-3 inch gap where he didn't paint. Is it really ok to leave it as it is, or should I go ahead and finish the job myself? The wall was a shade of lightly blemished off-white before priming and the primer is gray. The final paint will be a deep red. I can't begin to express how much I don't want to have problems with this paint job later, but I'm no expert and neither is he.
spiceoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

I think there are two parts to answer this. first- it is really important to get the paste off and cleaned well. It reactivates with new moisture ( paints, humidity) and can really be a problem. But in reality is is pretty hard to get it all off, so often here ( do a search for wallpaper removal here) we recommend priming with a Zinsser product called Gardz, or others like to use an oil primer, to really seal it in.
Not all primers do this, in fact few do.
So that is one concern.
The other is that you are priming with the grey to give a good foundation for painting red, which is one of the hardest colors to get to cover.
Because you are trying to do something to get the red to look deep and even, I would recommend a full prime including the brushwork. Usually the brushwork will be what covers the least, so you want all the help you can get.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Jockey View Post
I think there are two parts to answer this. first- it is really important to get the paste off and cleaned well. It reactivates with new moisture ( paints, humidity) and can really be a problem. But in reality is is pretty hard to get it all off, so often here ( do a search for wallpaper removal here) we recommend priming with a Zinsser product called Gardz, or others like to use an oil primer, to really seal it in.
Not all primers do this, in fact few do.
So that is one concern.
The other is that you are priming with the grey to give a good foundation for painting red, which is one of the hardest colors to get to cover.
Because you are trying to do something to get the red to look deep and even, I would recommcover stain end a full prime including the brushwork. Usually the brushwork will be what covers the least, so you want all the help you can get.
yep 100 % right i mean what are we talking bout here it would only take another hour or 2 to cut it in and that's being generous
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

I am thanking my lucky stars that there is a forum like this so easily accessible. Thank you BJ for your insight and suggestions. I did search the forums tonight and spend some time reading up on this. I didn't mention to the associate at Lowe's that I was priming a previously wallpapered wall, so he gave me Valspar Interior Latex High Hiding Primer, tinted to the gray color. *sigh* Good thing this is the first room we've begun to work on. 1 large bedroom (what we're working on now), 1 full bath, 1 gigantic bedroom, and 1 kitchen with a wallpaper border to go.

This room that we are working on was started by the people living here before us. They had removed the paper, but while I was repairing the tears in the drywall they had made and patching nail holes, I notice a few spots with a little of the paper backing left behind. I scraped it, sanded it, wiped it and called it good. The rest of the wall didn't feel like it had any residue on it, so we assumed it had already been washed. I hope I'm right.

I'm going to risk sounding foolish, but I'm thinking it may be better that my husband left this area of wall un-primed as now we can thoroughly wash the outside edges for good measure and paint the whole thing with the proper primer; thus sealing the outside edges and improperly primed center area from moisture. Would that work?

Last edited by spiceoflife; 09-10-2011 at 09:49 PM.
spiceoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #5

Hi SpiceofLife, sol, can I call you sol? Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, the correct primer will do minimal good now, for the main part of the wall anyway. The Gardz that Brushjockey suggested provides a barrier between the water based adhesive and water based finishes, to avoid the activation he mentioned. The primer that you applied is at risk of activating with the adhesive, that's if there is any. And if that occurs, it will take any subsequent layers with it, including the correct primer. But, you'll still need to apply it to be on the safe side. You need to do that because what may look fine now could be a problem when you apply finish and the wetting of the primer causes a reaction. The bottom line is that the Gardz has to be applied directly over the residue adhesive to be one hundred percent effective. Applying it over your primer will help you, but you're still at risk of having some repair work to do with spot failures. You're not totally sol. Good Luck, and adhere to Brushjockey's signature line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

I would go ahead and Gardz the whole room, cut in with the not so good grey primer after it drys and hope for the best with the 3 or 4 , maybe 5 red coats you are going to use with Valspare. You would save yourself a lot of head ache and money by going to a real paint store and getting paint and primer from someone who knows the products.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

I'll follow along Chrisn's suggestion. If you already bought the red Valspar finish. Apply one coat to see what kind of coverage you get. If it's a clear base deep red, your coverage should be very poor, even over gray. If it seems to be weak, you might consider going to Ben Moore and getting a Genex paint. The Genex paint/colorant system is superior when it comes to coverage. The price is a lot higher than what you paid for Valspar, but the object is to work smart. With the Valspar red as a base, you should be okay with one coat of BM, as opposed to three or four additional coats of the Valspar. Labor is always your biggest expense. I did a bathroom once in a Coca Cola red, a standard clear base color prior to the new tech color systems, it took five coats over white and it could have probably used a sixth. I painted a door once in a deep wine red and, even with a dark gray primer, it still took four coats to cover. Valspar may be employing a new color technology, I don't know, but if they're not, you know what to do.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote