Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Priming after Wallpaper removal

What primer should I use after removing wallpaper and most of the glue. Holes and gouges were filled in with Sheetrock (Durabond 90) and sanded smooth.

homohabilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Prime after wallpaper removal

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #3

I used Gardz on my wall, it is to seal any residual glue and basically glues the wall together. After that you can use any primer you want, Zinsser 123 is good, and then paint!
sychopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #4

Forget Zinnzer. Glidden won't give me a business account, credit, or sell to me as a contractor because my business goes by word of mouth and I don't need to advertise. I want tips on non-Zinnzer products. I want an oil base primer that brushes smooth. No sanding, no skim coat.
homohabilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #5

Congratulations on removing the wallpaper, homohabilis! That is a tough enough job. Since you were able to remove most of the glue, I’d play it safe and use an oil-based primer. I have had great success with the Kilz brand. The “ORIGINAL” formula is their original stainblocking primer. For “COMPLETE” formula is ideal for most interior and exterior surfaces. The “ODORLESS” is has ultra low odor.
DesigningWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homohabilis View Post
Forget Zinnzer. Glidden won't give me a business account, credit, or sell to me as a contractor because my business goes by word of mouth and I don't need to advertise. I want tips on non-Zinnzer products. I want an oil base primer that brushes smooth. No sanding, no skim coat.

Forget Glidden and go elsewhere
What does Glidden and Zinser have in common anyway?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

I'm sure you've already gotten what you are going to get, but we used Bulls Eye 1-2-3 and it worked great for us. We had quite the mess as you can read about if you want even had wallpaper on the ceiling!

Wallpaper on The Ceiling
jlynpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #8

I'll add my 2 cent's worth here, I've been a wallpaper hanger for the last 35 years, so I know whats going on here. First off, you really need to get ALL the glue off if you want to paint the wall. If you don't, it may crackell or just look really bad later when the paint is applied. Get the glue wet with a spray bottle with just water and a little dish soap, and spray it, and sponge it off. Then prime it with the Kilz mentioned already. Then you'll have a good base to paint.
mikehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #9

A couple things to consider. If you get ALL the glue off the wall and the surface was painted before, you are good to go. If the surface was not painted or primed before the wallpaper then you really should prime with oil. Guards is ok, but it is a water based product and will reactivate any residual glue left on the surface or any that has soaked into the wall.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
A couple things to consider. If you get ALL the glue off the wall and the surface was painted before, you are good to go. If the surface was not painted or primed before the wallpaper then you really should prime with oil. Guards is ok, but it is a water based product and will reactivate any residual glue left on the surface or any that has soaked into the wall.
Not to argue with you but it says here that Gardz will SEAL residual PASTE not reactivate it. It has been my experience that this is true.

http://www.triarchinc.com/fileshare/..._DataSheet.pdf

Last edited by chrisn; 12-26-2010 at 05:14 AM.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Sprayboy-services.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Not to argue with you but it says here that Gardz will SEAL residual PASTE no reactivate it. It has been my experience that this is true.

http://www.triarchinc.com/fileshare/..._DataSheet.pdf

+1
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Haste Makes Waste

I used GARDZ (per ChrisN guidance) after stripping painted wallpaper back to bare plaster walls (house built 1913). After cleaning & sealing the walls with GARDZ, I had slick, smooth walls (bare plaster, mind you). It's been 1-1/2 years and THE WALLS ARE BEAUTIFUL. People have been quite amazed and thought it was done by a professional. I informed them an amature did it with the guidance of a PRO. I highly recommend you follow the advice of Chris. You will be surprised.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #13

I have seen it reativate wallpaper glue. It's a water based product and wallpaper glue is activated with water. We used it on a section of wall that still had a little wall paper on it just a few weeks ago. It was a small section and the home owner didn't want to pay to have it stripped. We probably should have just done it for her anyways, but the Guards went on and within minutes the paper had bubbles all over it and it would lift off with little effort. Most of the bubbles went down but as soon as we put paint over it the bubbles came right back.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
I have seen it reativate wallpaper glue. It's a water based product and wallpaper glue is activated with water. We used it on a section of wall that still had a little wall paper on it just a few weeks ago. It was a small section and the home owner didn't want to pay to have it stripped. We probably should have just done it for her anyways, but the Guards went on and within minutes the paper had bubbles all over it and it would lift off with little effort. Most of the bubbles went down but as soon as we put paint over it the bubbles came right back.
I have seen it before too. I've seen it after wallpaper stripping and then applying a water base primer, a water base primer will activate any wallpaper residue left behind and cause crackling, bubbling, flaking paint. I've also seen it happen on older plaster. That's why I use a fast dry oil primer to prime and seal walls after a wallpaper strip and also on older plaster walls before painting them with a water base paint. I don't want to take a chance of activating any left over residue, because then it will cost more in the long run.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
primer, wallpaper glue